AuthorTopic: Axle change on my Rangie Classic...  (Read 1799 times)

Offline muky-kid.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Axle change on my Rangie Classic...
« on: July 20, 2005, 22:08:11 »
:D Hi All... I am thinking of fitting an ARB Locker to the rear axle on my bobbed Rangie next year, but after talking to a bloke at Billing on Sunday he suggested i get rid of the old 10 spline diffs/halfshafts or even get later 24 spline axles fitted because they are stronger....
 :? If so which 24 spline axles will fit onto my Rangie, i was told Defender 300TDi items are good but ide need to weld a shock mount on the rear chassis as the rangies one, on one side is on the opposite side of the axle. But that got me thinking, what about the props will rangie now fit or do i have to change the output shafts on tranny box.
Or should i forget about changeing the axles and just get toughened 10 spline halfshafts for the front and rear and possibly stronger diffs ?...

What does everyone else think on this matter, as i cant decide what to do.. Help much appreiciated.  :D
If in first you dont suceed,try second....
If it aint broke, your not trying ard enough....

Regards MIKE.

Protected By PUGWASH The Evil Duck.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 22:23:58 »
Dom had 10 splines in his Ibex but I believe he's fitted something stronger now.  That said 10 splines are pretty strong unless you drive really hard, and if the shafts don't bust then something else will.  You couold try contacting Ashcrofts, they do uprated 10 splines and 24 splines that will fit into your axle but you need to buy the drive member also.  As for which models came with 24 splines as standard I don't know  but I think it may be P38, Wolfe obviously and possibly Defender 130.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 22:48:13 »
:D Thanks for your reply. Like you said, stick with 10 spline but get tougher ones from say Ashcroft.  :D

I was thinking of fitting 24 spline bits because i want to fit 35" Simex Extremes or Silverstones that i spotted at Billing ( same tread pattern as Simexes but cheaper and not a retread also 35" or 285/85/16s ). Now with the tyres and an ARB Locker ill definatley break std halfshafts/cv joints etc, and was told 24 spline would cope, but they would say that because they want my money i suppose.

Yep 10 spline it is.... cheaper option.  :D
Ill see about a gear reduction kit for the tranny box, what with running 35"s, and would help offroad in low box. Ashcroft again i think do these...

:lol: Bank managers going to have a heart attack next year, or a very nice long holiday courtesy of my APRs...  :lol:
If in first you dont suceed,try second....
If it aint broke, your not trying ard enough....

Regards MIKE.

Protected By PUGWASH The Evil Duck.

Offline wailofthesnail

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 22:11:08 »
Have just purchased a pair of 300tdi 90 axles off e-bay for £109 am collecting on sunday, we're planning to move the o/s/r shock top mount  to match the n/s/r one(we think this is the more sensible option as the next stage is long travel shocks)
will let you know how it goes. :)

Trayback RRC
Simex
Pro comp shocks(10" front, 15" rear)
homemade rear shock relocators
homemade rear lift kit(+2" rear springs)
citroen ZX(gets me from A-B)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 00:21:43 »
It's relatively easy to move the top mount rather than the bottom one but I'd advise putting tube through the chassis to prevent it crushing.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 12:38:31 »
all motors up to around 93/94 had 10 spline coarse shafts.from 94 onwards they went to the fine spline shafts n diffs,these are the 24 spline that you are refering to,if you fit a fine spline set up,make sure its the whole thing not mixed & matched as there is all sorts of differences that make problems if they arent adressed when building it
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline landyman Ash

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 20:09:11 »
I run 10 spline but my ARB locker is 24 for the same reason as you, Ive been told they are stronger.

However its far easier changing a broken half shaft than a samshed diff or worse a gear box.

Im going to try the 24 and see what happens, so at this moment I would say go 24.

Also bear in mind the 24 shafts are harder to get and more expensive, ive bought a few sets off ebay as when you run ARB and simex......

........expect to break ALOT of shafts!!!!!!
Ashley (but everyone knows me as Ash...)

Roxanne the 88" 300tdi auto Hybrid Trayback thats broken more than its fixed
Rosie the 300 Tdi auto disco that picks the hybrid up when broken...
Daisey the trailer that sits behind Rosie and lies under Roxanne.
The sexy threesome!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal