AuthorTopic: Central Locking Problems  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
  • Referrals: 0
Central Locking Problems
« on: July 08, 2005, 23:44:04 »
Right then, I've had a look, played with it, changed two actuators and it's still not playing!!  :(

My wife was out in the Rangie today and came back saying that when she tried to lock it - the front passenger lock did nothing (I knew about that one), both rear doors locked but the actuators made a "werring" noise until she turned the drivers lock half way back.
When I tried it none of the door (exept the drivers one) locked and the rear doors made that werring noise.
I have changed the drivers door actuator, which made no difference, I changed the drivers side rear door actuator, again nothing exept the noise stopped.
Looking in the Haynes manual for Pre-1990 vehicles it says there's a Central Locking Control Unit under the dash, on/near the steering collum but I can't see anything in there and wiring diagram for an 88/89 Rangie doesn't show one??????  :?

I'm going to change the passenger side actuator, which I know doesn't work, is there anything else that could be causing this?  [-o<

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Central Locking Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 10:18:31 »
It's a little grey box on the rh end of the dash or behind the kick panel somewhere.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Central Locking Problems
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 11:35:23 »
Thank Andy,

The funny thing is: in the haynes manual section about the central locking it says about the control unit being on the pre-1990 rangies but then it doesn't show it in the wiring diagram for either 1988 or 1989!  :?

I found the immobaliser box and another one with about 7 wires going into it with black cooling fins on it. This was tucked up under the dash below the instument panel but that's the only boxes I could see under there.
I'll have another search later.  :wink:

Offline Garth

Attack Member
Central Locking Problems
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 00:28:28 »
I know its not much help but mine plays up when its wet.
Some times all doors re-open straight after locking.
Other times its the Passenger side front and drivers rear.
Other other times I lock with drivers door and it re opens so try passenger door and its OK (and vise versa)

Due to the fact that I have problems when there is damp about I am looking for an earthing fault rather than an actuator fault
"WINNE"
1991 VOUGE SE A WITH LPG
LOOKS GOOD (BUT LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING)
"TIGGER"
1995 SUZUKI VITARA
1" LIFT
225/75X15 AT'S

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Central Locking Problems
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 01:16:20 »
Quote from: "Budgie"
Thank Andy,

The funny thing is: in the haynes manual section about the central locking it says about the control unit being on the pre-1990 rangies but then it doesn't show it in the wiring diagram for either 1988 or 1989!  :?

I found the immobaliser box and another one with about 7 wires going into it with black cooling fins on it. This was tucked up under the dash below the instument panel but that's the only boxes I could see under there.
I'll have another search later.  :wink:

Black box, 2 screw going through from the driver's side of the dash structure? that's the dim-dip unit.  the central locking is about that size, perhaps bigger and grey plastic.  If you have dim-dip you've probably got the same central locking as me too, does yours only lock from the driver's door?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Central Locking Problems
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 10:45:08 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
does yours only lock from the driver's door?

Yep, only locks from the drivers door, 4 wire actuator in the drivers door and 2 wire on the rest.
The sun's out up here today so it'll give me a chance to have a good look at it, once I've sorted the sticking front brake calliper that raised it's ugly head on the way home from work last night!!  :evil:

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Central Locking Problems
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 20:49:40 »
Got it sorted today!  \:D/

I have now replaced all the door actuators and it looks like a the problem was part bad connections and part duff actuators. 3 of the actuators had had the wiring extended and one had bullet connectors going into the standard rubber covered connector.  :roll:
Even the tailgate actuator wroks now and I didn't touch that!!  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal