AuthorTopic: Smoking on start up  (Read 5543 times)

Offline RRC

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Smoking on start up
« on: May 23, 2005, 22:37:52 »
Hello all.

Two weeks ago i got a recon radiator fitted to my RR and when the garage did it they did an oil change too because mine's an auto and had the oil coolers.

BUT

Since then i have had blue smoke coming out of the exhaust for the first minute when i start up from cold.

I haven't had a chance to phone the garage yet, but i will tomorrow.

What has caused this blue smoke? It didn't use to do it.
Used to own a Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 1990

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
Smoking on start up
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 20:17:45 »
:D Hi mate, do you know the type of oil they used to put back in your engine because if its 10/40s or simmilar semi sythetic, this oil is to thin and if your valve guides are slightly worn you may not have noticed in the past due to you or previous owners useing other oil.
Try Duchams 20/50s this is much more better than modern semi/synthetics and does not tend to leak through/passed the oil rings in your v8 or the valve seals, but if this works your best of changeing the oil more reguarly than normal.
I used in my 3.5 V8 15/40s semi the dear stuff a while ago and altough it started better in the mornings once the oil was at running temp the oil pressure dropped off dramatically, and like your self a phew weeks later there was a hint of smoke appearing from exhaust in the morning on startup because oil was leaking past the vavle gear due to its thinness, once ide changed back to 20/50s the oil pressure returned back to normal 35/40 psi on idle 50/60 psi when pushed. And i noticed it didnt blow iol out on startup and little oil leaks around the engine itself dissapeared.
Hope this helps.
Cant think what else could be causeing it, unless by shere coincidence your valve gear has gone all of a sudden ( very doutfull ). :?
If in first you dont suceed,try second....
If it aint broke, your not trying ard enough....

Regards MIKE.

Protected By PUGWASH The Evil Duck.

Offline RRC

Attack Member
Smoking on start up
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 00:01:42 »
Thank you for your reply.
It's off to the garage on Tuesday.
Used to own a Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 1990

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Smoking on start up
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 02:00:58 »
I'd agrre, it's the oil.  It's alos possible that when hot the oil is so thin that it runs past the valve stems when you shut off.  The valve stem oil seals are useless so if the oil's too thin there you go, plus the fact that it stops after a minute to.

Bet your oil is getting mucky faster too.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal