AuthorTopic: Your thoughts on driving at 159 mph  (Read 5732 times)

Offline Nugget 4x4

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Your thoughts on driving at 159 mph
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2005, 22:28:44 »
I'd need to attempt this feat at least three times and have to add thwem all togeather to get this sort of speed from my series 2a :lol:  :lol:
When all the oil has drained out the leak stops.
Disco 300 tdi Commercial
Classic Range Rover
Series 2a soon to have V8 Power

Offline Sooty

Attack Member
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2005, 22:35:52 »
Quote from: "Nugget 4x4"
I'd need to attempt this feat at least three times and have to add thwem all togeather to get this sort of speed from my series 2a :lol:  :lol:

150mph in a series 2A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now that would be dangerous :shock:  :shock:
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/sooty/
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2005, 22:37:10 »
Quote from: "Sooty"

the 150mph isn't dangerous, so much as the sudden stop at the bottom of the cliff :)
--

Offline Sooty

Attack Member
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2005, 22:49:02 »
Quote from: "datalas"
Quote from: "Sooty"

the 150mph isn't dangerous, so much as the sudden stop at the bottom of the cliff :)

There we are students, you homework for this week is to work out the maximum verlosity of a series 2A in freefall.
All practical demonstrations must be on video to count and at the expense of the student. :lol:  :lol:
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/sooty/
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

Offline old joe

Attack Member
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2005, 11:31:07 »
old joe's time to throw something in.

Ok we all have and know people who work in the emergency service's correct.

we spend alot time training them at our expense correct.

so we the taxpayer expect them to do there job in proffessional manner and to the best of there abiliites correct.

Blue Light Training need's to be carried out so that the examiner can ascertain that the driver has the relevant skills and knowledge to drive in those sort of conditions, these need to be carried out at various times of the day to gain the knowledge of driving in certain types of road conditions.

I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing with what has been said on this link nor am i agreeing with what should have happened to that particular police officer.

what i am saying is we all take responsibilies for our own actions and speed does kill wether it be at 159 mph or at 3mph the vehicles we drive are killer's missiles guided by pilots experiance or inexperanced.

This particular polic officer will live with this for the rest of his day's and won't do it again it may even affect his driving ability for that we will never ever know.

dazza  :-#
Old Joe (Dazza)

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.

Remember each and everyone of us is gifted, it’s just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others

A Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with a Single Step.

http://www.4x4prejudice.org/

www.rsda.org.uk

http://muppets.go.com/games/muppets-flyinggonzo.html

Offline discodaz

Attack Member
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2005, 00:30:35 »
For my twopennorth's worth NOBODY is in control of a vehicle at 159mph,
christ knows what he was thinking of doing 100mph in 30 mph zone, no amount of training makes that safe, when it's late at night there are people out there who also think it's late & theres no one else here, its a recipie for disaster, he was on a jolly abusing the privelige of his position, if a pursuit ever got that bad it would be called off & left to the helicopter.
I say lock him up & throw away the key!!! :evil:

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2005, 00:36:37 »
Theres no justification, 159 is insane, i would do it in a car like that but would expect the book to be thrown at me if i got caught.  But Tonys protectors can don no wrong, can they?
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline matthew

Attack Member
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2005, 02:08:42 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
Gosh!

In America, if the chase would endanger the Officers - they call it off. However, in the UK, at 3am - on an empty motorway - how many people in here would actually stick to the speedlimit. And I want honest answers. I know some would, and I know some would not.

If road conditions were appropriate ie. not wet or icy then no chance.

The 70mph limit is a joke anyway, it was brought in at a time when most family cars struggled to do 80mph and quite a few still had drum brakes at the front. A modern Mondeo or similar will probably stop quicker from 100mph than a Mk2 Cortina would from 70mph. Better tyres, brakes and ABS have all come along in the last 35+ years.

The biggest problem on motorways isn't speed, it's poor lane discipline, bunching up too close (normally because some prat won't move over after overtaking), and inappropriate speed in poor weather conditions.

A personal gripe is the spate of 50mph limits that have cropped up locally on otherwise fast open A roads across open country (almost all within Blackburn's area) just because a few pillocks that couldn't drive according to either the conditions or their own ability parked in a ditch.

I have been "pulled over" by flashing blue lights at speeds well in excess of the speedlimit at 2am and 3am - they simply slow you down and you continue on your journey - I have never been physically stopped - just had the waggling finger.

It would be interesting to know what vehicle they were driving as I was under the impression that by law vehicles (cars) are limited to 155mph (if the engine can exceed it) maximum, and I think around 180mph for bikes. Also, I note with interest that he was actually caught by himslef ... what an odd situation to be in ;-)

I think the German manufacturers have a voluntary limit of 155mph.

As for this policeman, I don't think what he did on the motorway was that terrible. What he might have done in a 30mph limit is more questionable but I don't think we have enough facts to make a real judgement on it, presumably the court did. In my view he should maybe have just been told off and stuck behind a desk for a couple of months instead of costing lots of money to take him to court.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal