AuthorTopic: 200tdi defender 90 - offroader / challenge truck  (Read 2848 times)

Offline forestrynick

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200tdi defender 90 - offroader / challenge truck
« on: March 30, 2014, 21:18:58 »
Hi all,

Time to sell my much loved Defender off roader as I need space for new project. It’s a 200tdi 90 Defender, I’ve had it for 10+ years and it’s evolved quite a bit! Currently SORN with no MOT.

Very capable truck, would be perfect for playdays, greenlanes etc but I’ve been using it as a class one (single winch) challenge truck, including a 1st in class at LRS in 2011.

Original 200tdi engine with 148500 miles - plenty of life left! Starts and runs well but needs a new oil pump. Just had a new starter motor and recon hybrid turbo (bigger vanes for a bit more boost!). Had a recon transfer box from Ashcrofts approx. 15k miles ago and clutch about 30k ago. Main gearbox feels okay for a gearbox of this age.

2” lift springs from Scorpion but at near standard stiffness so still quite flexi. 11” shocks front and back; rears are Procomp with dislocation cones and cranked trailing links. Fronts are Rough country with Gwyn Lewis turrets / cones.

4-pin 24 spline diffs front and back. Ashcroft’s front shafts with the better AEU 2522 CV joints. Rear shafts are early military spec 24 spline, stronger than the latter Discovery 24 spline shafts.

Fully MSA compliant roll cage in CDS tube – Never rolled, with no bends or dents in the pipe but could do with a repaint. Cross in roof and behind cab for extra strength. Welded down to outriggers and cross member – stays bolt through tub to C-section cross member underneath.

Rear tub protection bar also in CDS, braced back to the chassis front and back – works very well for keeping trees away from the tub. Note this is bent at the rear but still functional and not connected to the roll cage itself.

QT style rear diff guard (slider type) and bolt on front diff guard. Heavy duty track and drag link plus relatively new 4 bolt steering box (<500 miles). Box section rock sliders. Bespoke box section rear bumperettes (fix to existing bolt holes, strong and protect lights).

Nice custom front winch bumper – very strong yet relatively light and with excellent approach angle. I used a Goodwinch TDS Goldfish but I think bolt pattern is the same for most low line winches. Would look very smart with a rub down and repaint. Note: winch has been sold.

Also there’s a C-section channel welded in under the rear tub onto which I intended to mount a rear winch. Just needs the holes drilling to mount the rear winch.

Tyres are 235/85r16 Recip MAXI 3D’s (but actually measure 33”) on dark grey 8 spokes steel wheels. These are very aggressive - look similar to dumper truck tyres but road legal and give lots of grip. Some cracking on the side walls but plenty of tread and all holding air.

Currently has complete straight through exhaust – exits just behind rear cross member (out of harm’s way). Sounds a bit throaty so not to everybody’s taste – I’ll let you have the back box that can be fitted if preferred and possibly for MOT?

Now in the interest of being honest here are the bad points…

As mentioned before it needs a new oil pump – they are only £80 and not particularly difficult to fit.

The lights aren’t working properly, probably wants new wires running to the front and rear but most of the light fittings themselves are okay. Again not really an expensive job just time consuming and a bit tedious.

Fluid leak from the rear brakes, so obviously needs attention and the brakes bleeding through. Haven’t checked but I doubt the hand brake works at the moment – will need adjusting (typical Land Rover!)

It’s an off road truck so has some dents – both wings and the doors are pretty rough (although I’ve seen much worse!). Rear tub is remarkably straight because of the tub bar and the truck cab roof is fine.

Bulkead corners are starting to rust, but easily capped over and I don’t think an MOT issue at present. It’s had a new rear cross member and otherwise the chassis doesn’t seem too bad.

No MOT and worn oil pump means it needs trailering away. As a last resort I might be able to arrange delivery at cost + some beer (for my mate who’ll have to drive!)

£1200 ono – I realise it doesn’t have an MOT and has a few issues but I don’t think it would be that difficult to get it back on the road - I just don’t have time. I also know it could be broken and sold for easily over £1500, so no stupid offers please (I’d rather pay a farmer to store and break it later than give it away).

Viewers welcome but please bear in mind I live in Warwick and it’s stored near Oxford – so I need notice to arrange. More pictures can be emailed on request.

Nick – 07920 153 293
forestrynick@hotmail.co.uk

Not stuck = Not trying!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal