AuthorTopic: rise and rise of my new Disco..I hope  (Read 4755 times)

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
rise and rise of my new Disco..I hope
« on: December 27, 2013, 23:36:53 »
Ok.. so I had a 200tdi for 10 years.. thats when I was most active on here.. It died when I snapped the chassis in two during a nice day out greenlaning.. (be warned there are members on here that think a nice day out on the lanes should include 45 degree tilts and lots of rocks. Me included..) The car felt ok on the lanes but the bumps covered up the damage until I got back on the tarmac.. Then it was 'interesting'

I made up my mind to strip the ol'truck and sell the bits on eblag and that made me around £1700. with that I got myself a 300 V8 for 750 .. just so I could say I had one before the tree huggers banned them..lol.

The V8 failed the MOT on welding.. lots of welding.. so back on eblag it went and sold for 800..lol.. I got myself a 'Normal' car.. a year later I was twitching.. the lack of 4 wheel drive and high seating was getting to me in a big way.. Eventually my wife spoke up and told me to buy another Discovery..(I love that Woman) ..

So here I am again with a new truck to play with and a head full of ideas.. Here's what I got..

Td5 in black.. not bad miles, only cost 2k and looks good on the outside.. Inside was shocking.. soaking wet.. dirty.. and everything is covered in oil.. It drives ok when at motorway speeds but the first few gears were crunching and there is a solid knock when turning.. It also was leaving a pool of fluid when parked.. (I'll get to that later.)..

On the up side I'm not scared.. I've done most jobs over the years and tend to fix rather than change.. besides.. Landrovers are after all a way of life more than a car..

So here I am again, My old posts seem to have lost all their photos so I'll have to start again..

I'm hoping to stick up a few how too's for those that need them and show a few of the things I'm doing to the truck.. hopefully it will be of use to others.. be aware I am lazy.. if there is an easy way I will find it and exploit it so I can go back to doing nothing..lol
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
Re: rise and rise of my new Disco..I hope
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:47:33 »
Amen to being lazy, it's why I now have a jimny, not spending all day fixing a land rover is a good thing.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 18:19:59 »
First job to sort out was the dodgy gear change.. I knew when I spotted the car offered so cheap that there would be a few things wrong with it but I wanted a good shell and Chassis to use as a base..

It really was bad on the first few gears.. symptoms were a terrible crunch between 1st, 2nd and 3rd.. down to 4th was ok and finding reverse meant putting the handbrake lever down to make space..

I knew what it was straight away and after stripping an old Lt77 I had in the shed and recovering the gear selector yoke bush (plastic bush that the ball on the bottom of the gear stick sits in) I set about stripping out the center console..

If your going to do it heres the link to the manual http://www.landroverresource.com/docs/D2_Workshop_Manual.pdf

page 37-50

Sure enough once stripped down to the point I could see into the gearbox the ball that once sat in the selector yoke was rattling around in the bottom and only half of the bush remained..Simply push the selector yoke forward with your finger then undo the 5mm allen grub screw.. the yoke can then be taken out to replace the bush and clip.. Now getting this far is the biggest part of the job.. Ten minutes later the new bush was in place and the refit of all the bits was underway. 45 minutes later the whole thing was together and I was off to pick the wife up from work.. total time taken two hours.

Tips... I bought from a local pound shop a tool that my wife laughed at.. imagine a car aerial with a magnet with built in led on one end and a rubber handle on the other.. well I have to say it earned it's £1 price tag lifting the ball out of the gearbox and then dipping into the oil in the box to recover the clip that was sat at the bottom.

You don't need to touch the plate with the bias springs on it just undo the four outermost bolts holding it on and it lifts out as an assembly. When refitting this assembly loosen the four bolts that hold the Bias plate (the bit with the two springs on it) but don't remove them.. select 4th gear then pull the gear stick as far right as you can get it to remove any slack.. once in this position tighten the plate back up. Doing this sets the stick up for smooth gear changes..

So job one out of the way next is the loud and slightly disturbing bang I get when turning..
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:13:12 »
Still waiting to hear about this BANG!
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal