AuthorTopic: cherry in jerry cans  (Read 2810 times)

Offline lambert

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
  • Referrals: 0
cherry in jerry cans
« on: July 01, 2013, 20:54:46 »
Hi all. In a short while i will be attending orkney amongst other far northern reaches. As i am a hard yorkshire lad i will be going in my 90 and going the long way round. It will be great save for one little issue; fuel range. I know there are service stations north of the border but i am concerned that as i am not local i could well miss some of the smaller ones when i need them most so i was thinking to take a 20l jerry can with me in the back as a get out of gaol free card. So here is the actual question, i have some new ish jerry cans that are in good condition but they have only ever had cherry diesel in them for the tractors, if i were to put some derv in one and then need to use it in my car how big a risk would i be taking if i were to be dipped? Obviously the trace would be pretty small but would it be low enough to be let on my way? If i were to use the can full how many more clean tank fulls would it take for all trace to be lost? Alternatively how could i clean the jerry can to an acceptable standard before i put some derv in it? Cheers 

Ps no i would rather spend the cost of a new jerry can on derv as i can get to go even further into the wilds.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline trecfive

Attack Member
  • If it fit's the hook it'll pull it.
    • Nuneaton
Re: cherry in jerry cans
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 13:13:49 »
The bit of cherry that would be in there after you have shaken the can upside down would not fill a thimble. The staining in the can will stay there but dilute over refills with lemonade(white)look at a plastic drum when used for a long time. When you buy your diesel you will have an upto date receit as proof that you have bought fuel local so it will satisfy the HMCE/Police. But I do know where you are coming from having access to cherry. If it bothers you that much put red two stroke oil in the car and carry the can as proof that you are using the oil to gain more MPG and improve the running of the engine.  Mix at a ratio of 3ml to the ltr of derv. Have a nice holiday.
1. Range Rover Classic 300tdi SE Auto Softdash
2. Range Rover Classic 300tdi SE Auto Softdash, apparently very rare.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 21:27:05 »
Well it seems i am a hypocrite as after much thought and research on the subject i have spent 11 quid on a new plastic can that way i feel safe that if there are any traces of cherry in my car it is not of my doing and i have receiptsfor lemonade and best dino at that going back to when i bought the car.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 21:21:43 »
I wonder if BioDerv would shift it, it dissolves everything else
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
  • I'm BACK..possibly..LOL
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 14:00:25 »
wen i was driving for a living, our delivery of diesel was straight after a delivery of red...driver used to say that 100 litres through his delivery pipe would clear it..and we were getting 25,000 litres a time the effect was minimal...plus we used to dye ours blue as we had 6000 gallons nicked over 6 months!!!
Be afraid. Be very afraid
YAM YAM SQUAD
Life's a journey - so remember to pay FULL fare!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal