AuthorTopic: Buying advice  (Read 5687 times)

Offline wizard

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
  • Referrals: 0
Buying advice
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:05:06 »
Hi All
I am looking around for a 110 double cab and have about £10k to spend.Ideally I want a late model TD5 with a few mods on it.

I am not in any hurry to buy so if it takes 6 to 8 months to find the right one so be it.

What i need to know is , what are the common faults with the TD5's. I know about oil in the injector wiring loom on the early models but thats about it.

what should i be looking out for and what years should i steer clear of.

Regards
wizard

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
Re: Buying advice
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:22:57 »
Allegedly cylinder heads can crack and if modified too much they warp exhaust manifolds. Beyond that other than the added complexity of the electronics they seem ok. That said they are land rovers and it is luck that determines if it is a good one are a bad one. Whatever a full service history and being clean underneath are good points to start from.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:54:52 »
I've no experience with the 110 but I had a TD5 Disco and the engine was strong and once I had a plug-in chip fitted it was surprising how much extra power there is available without all the messing around with intercoolers, fuelling etc on the 300 TDi.

One thing I found on the Disco was that, before the chip was fitted, it was a nightmare at junctions because you can't just plant your right foot. It waits for a while, has a cup of tea, reads the paper, before it does anything and that can be a bit disconcerting in heavy traffic!! 

Offline taffrican

Attack Member
    • Forest Of Dean
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 19:00:01 »
hey Gerraff... Td5 double cab :cool: wise choice  :cool: flash git :grin:
if you get a post 02/03 Td5 I think most of the issues were sorted, I've had mine for 7yrs and (touch wood) no engine issues at all (80k miles), just the normal stuff like master cylinder, fuel regulator leak (common issue, £90 for new) the TD5 can be chipped and tuned to within an inch of its life and can be become quite nippy. Let me know how you get on, I'll keep my eyes peeled this side in case one pops up...good luck and happy hunting :cool:

ps. how's the 110 van?

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 13:15:42 »
Hi All
Thanks for the advice so far. Apart from having a mooch on ebay i havent really got around to looking any further.
I see a lot of early 01-02  models for 8-10K. idealy I want one with a fair amount of kit on it already as we plann to use it mainly for expeditions.

Mike., long time no waffle, sorry about that my heads been shot !!!!!
Still got the 110 and plan on keeping it for a long while yet. Sold the Disco, Range Rover and Freelander. Linda's swanning around in a nissan navara doubkle cab and I must say I cant fault it.

Cheers
wizard

Offline taffrican

Attack Member
    • Forest Of Dean
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 21:02:49 »
expeditions :smiley: take me with you...!!! :smiley: that sounds cool,  should be looking for a 101FC for that, would be perfect.
As for Linda swanning around in a Navara :shocked: another wise choice, I had the v6 Nissan Hardbody double cab in Nelspruit and it was an excellent bit of kit, the brother in law still has it in Vanderbijl park, it's got over 400,000km's on it and still going strong :shocked:
give me a bel when you're not so busy  :azn:

Offline taffrican

Attack Member
    • Forest Of Dean
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 02:48:23 »
So what did you end up getting????  :afro:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal