Vehicle & Technical > Range Rover

Noise/vibration

(1/4) > >>

tack43:
I have a noise/vibation on my 1990 3.9 auto with BW transfer box. It sounds like I'm driving on one of those motorway rumble strips. It happens around 30mph quietly and between 60 & 70 mph loudly on light acceleration/constant speed but goes on overrun, brisker acceleration. I've checked all the usual suspects (wheel balance, play in moving parts etc) and substituted the front prop for a known good one. I can feel vibration though floor and accelerator pedal but not brake pedal or steering wheel. Seems to be coming from the front. It's gradually getting worse/louder. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

lambert:
Beyond prop joints I would suggest prop being phased correctly? Or gearbox t box but I don't know enough about the bw to comment.

JIMBOBLY:
the borg warner transfer box has a chain,it may be that loose/stretched,or could be the bearing on the output flange for front prop

Range Rover Blues:
Is it lifted or not?

Does it happen in all gears or is it worse in one particularly?

Did you drive it with the propshaft removed altogether?

Is it misfiring and have you checked for compression?

tack43:
Thanks for the replys. prop should be in phase as it hasn't been moved and was ok prior to problem. bearing or chain sounds good for a potential problem - would it have play? is it usual for bearings to have a resonant speed?
It's fitted with H/D springs red/white rear and diesels (blue/green?) front with De Carbon shocks no ARB - so an inch or so I guess.
No haven't driven it without props
At 30 gear is 3rd, 60 4th. when accelerating vib goes so doesn't show in lower kickdown gear
compression in normal range no obvious misfire. running on gas so misfires normally obvious

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version