AuthorTopic: 300 tdi tdi cylinder head  (Read 2904 times)

Offline ben.williamson

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
300 tdi tdi cylinder head
« on: October 27, 2012, 18:07:53 »
hi i have a 300 tdi modded disco for off roading and if it snows bad, a beemer for every day use.

the disco i have only had a few weeks , but long story short is it over heated a few weeks ago turned out the exhaust was in the coolant and engine oil in exhaust, so be-headed it lol. the head did look fine but half hours cleaning up revealed two very small cracks one on each of the middle two injectors / glow plugs about 5mm each . the disco really over heated its was looking like it was on fire extreme heat coming off the engine block.

it wouldn't run , and was spraying coolant every where out of coolant resevior under pressure

i am not a mecanic but i am quite mecanical and have never done a gasket before recomendations please seen a new head for 225+ vat plus gaskets etc, seen a second hand one off a good runner but mate recons it will need skimming for a 100, or is the one i have here any good seen a we site that says if its cracked from cylinder - cylinder it knacked,

the other thing is most of the bolts needed a wreking bar to remove but two only needed a normal socket which is where the leak was i think as that bit is rust stained, which is a sign that that bit was loose causing leak easy fix , or that the head is warped maybe and need a new one ??

advise required thanks in advance ben

Offline ben.williamson

Attack Member
Re: 300 tdi tdi cylinder head
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 18:09:42 »

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 23:41:24 »
300tdi overheating usually means a right off as the pistons melt and score the bores and not worth the rebuild..... sorry.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline ben.williamson

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 20:28:08 »
how would i find out, the plastic bits are ok arount the top of the engine . also i can probly get get an engine for 200-300 quid and a mate to fit it for cheap

Offline Dirt-Devil

Attack Member
    • northampton
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 22:26:48 »
The easiest way to see if the pistons are knackered is to check when the head is off and look for any scoring and rotated the engine with a bar, but as for the head you have, it's safe to say it'll need replacing as there could be any number of other problems with it if it has cracks in it. The gasket change is pretty simple and if your not 100% sure then there's plenty of right up's online or look in a haynes manual (book of lies) which has a step by step guild with all the torque settings needed for refitting but remember to use new stretch bolts on the head and not the old ones,

Hope this helps a bit more.
RT Call sign NH-133

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 16:18:30 »
Sounds like it's got very hot,in which case I would consider a second hand engine, otherwise fitting a new or known to be good second hand head would be an option.

Skimming costs me around £60 with a pressure test but the 300TDi head "shouldn't" be skimmed at all.

If two of the bolts were loosish then the head has indeed warped and probably stretched the bolts, new bolts too.

ALl in it could cost less than a second hand lump but with far more concerns long term, so unless it's low mileage think hard before launching into anything.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal