Vehicle & Technical > Series Land Rovers

help and advice on 2a restore and rectify project

<< < (2/2)

lambert:
Not necessarily depends on if the engine box and axles can be proven to be from the same donor vehicle or not.

brixworth-alan:
Interesting thread----this is why Ive stuck to original spec for my '66 2a, although with a new chassis, props, rear axle, rad, and a million other parts 'on average' its  circa 1989 :)

NiteMare:

--- Quote from: brixworth-alan on February 16, 2013, 13:21:03 ---Interesting thread----this is why Ive stuck to original spec for my '66 2a, although with a new chassis, props, rear axle, rad, and a million other parts 'on average' its  circa 1989 :)

--- End quote ---

which if it is a truly new chassis to original specification or as the factory would have fitted as a replacement means it would legally keep it's identity

swapping axles, engines, gearboxes like for like or for slightly later Series boxes and engines (again as factory would offer) makes little to no difference

fitting a modified to coil spring chassis would lose you 5 points, then fitting a later engine or "wrong" engine would lose you a couple more, another 1 point each for wrong axles, and a couple for a "wrong" gearbox (LT77) , i think the remainder would be lost with modified steering and springs

you have to keep i think 8 points to legally retain an identity, mess with the chassis and you can easily end up below the required minimum

where problems really come into retaining an original plate is if it's been off the road for a very long time, the registration can and does get lost or may never have been put on the computer if it was "retired" prior to computerisation, then if it has been messed about with and it's components have been changed it can be almost impossible to get back onto an age related plate or it's original registration

anyone with a Series2 or 2a that is in this time period difficulty but believe they have an original vehicle that they'd like to put back on the road with a correctly registered motor should check out the Series2 Club as they're an officially recognised organisation that can and do assist with this...

but forget them passing off a dodgy motor that can't be proved to satisfaction, there is too many identifiers on a landrover linking them to the year they were built if not down to a 3 month period and they just will not do it due to the risk of losing thier recognised "expert" status with DVLA

the only other problem is with CKD motors where age is pretty difficult to prove as there is very little or no record of them, i've an ex-military Skippy (Aussie built) that Gaydon holds no records of and know of two or three other CKD landrovers that aren't recorded in this country, i've had to do lots of research on mine in preparation to going through the club and getting them to affirm i do have the motor i claim it to be

tack43:
The only thing that is IIA in those photos is the bulkhead and screen - everything else is cut down 90. You are on very dodgy ground if you are claiming tax exempt status and in danger of having it crushed by the powers that be. An IVA will call it "questionable" and give it a Q plate as it is "radically altered". If you like it get it upto scatch and IVA it - bear in mind an IVA is at lot more severe than an MOT and current cost is is about £250 plus £55 registration fee plus about £50 if it needs a retest then it needs to be MOT'ed!
I know this is not what you wanted to hear but it's the reality and if europe get there way that LRO column will be reality too. We won't even be able to service and repair our own cars!

Sorry I can't be of more help

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version