Vehicle & Technical > Series Land Rovers

help and advice on 2a restore and rectify project

(1/2) > >>

Jason:
hi all

i recently purchase what i believed to be a 2a with a V8 fitted and uprated suspension to coils
and in reality ive purchased a shed, mongrel, junker

not deterred by this ive been to see a friend nr Alfreton to put a plan together to spend a few ££££ :shocked: and make this just what i want
the goal for this project is to get it from this:

to something clean smart reliable correct spec to comply and keep the tax exempt status which it dosnt deserve at present but should start the full rebuild in the next week or two

the current chassis is very ruff and has the usual bits under the window starting to go but the main problem is the back member.
i went to tow a big twin axle mesh side plant trailer off a field the other weekend that me and my mate alex had been logging all day
and when a went to pull off Alex had to shout me as i nearly pulled the rear member off
on close inspection it looks like it is full of filler... very dangerous!!! for this reason i sledge hammered the toe hitch off as it had pulled the nut though the inner layer of the chassis then beat the member back straight and left it at that

so currently brought a later range rover classic engine on electric pack distributor instead of points and a ZF 4 speed box with all the bits to go

have made contact with design chassis (really helpfull chap) for a 88" chassis with coils
and brought the 88" tub to suit
not sure how to get the series grill on with the V8 but that is on the cards too.

my problem is, and where i need some advice
ive been busy scurrying around buying these parts but ive had a bit of a horrible scare when a week or so ago i purchased my first copy of. "landrover owner international"
on page 18 top left they is news of:

this has scared me to go ahead or not
as running RR engine and box, defender axles aint going to comply with the article
and dont want to spend well over 2k and to end up with something that is banned from road use, might as well weld on new rear chassis and member, patch chassis and sell on.

spoke to someone i know who is a 4x4 nut for advice, who is also a member on here. he recommended joining and asking for advice

what's your chaps thought on this article and when is this going to come into action

jase

lambert:
At the moment the worst case would seem to be that your project could need an iva as a new build. However under the current regs I think it would need one anyway as there is sufficient changes to call its identity into question. Once you have an iva though the new proposals will only mean you can't claim it as an historic so it will continue to need a yearly mot.

Jason:
thank you Lambert

so it want an iva which i dont see as the end of the world
would this proposal of a new rule still effect what would be my "new build" on new iva
because surly wouldn't all those series TDI convertions it speakes about and image suggesting the tray-backs  just nip over and get and iva up, job done..

lambert:
This has to my mind been the way out spend your 200quid get an iva and be at peace. Much of what has been reported is hyperbole and miss-information to get a reaction and column inches. Besides it had yet to happen.

Jason:
thank you again

would the iva mean it will be "Q" reg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version