Vehicle & Technical > Series Land Rovers

It lives !

<< < (17/17)

Saffy:

--- Quote from: LandRoger on May 09, 2013, 20:54:33 ---She 553 YUM looks swell M8 , I have a Defender wiper motor with drive and the mounting stems for the wipers if you want it as a freebee its in very good nick .what is it about leckie fans you don't like?its one of my first mods to any Landy  they don't take any power away from underpowered engines and a small bonus in the mpg so im led to believe, if you want w/motor etc can meet on the Plain sometime .

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the offer Roger...buuuuuut the truck used to have SERIES3 wiper set up (same as defender pretty much) which was all retro fitted nicely and all very sensible, so I removed it and fitted the early series individual motors that are supposed to be on it (well just one of them so far!) because they are more funky and age related (not a major factor on this truck I know but heh ho). The one that is fitted works really well and pulls the wiper blade back and forth with quite a bit of torque.  .....Oh I remember now.... there was a sensible reason for my madness, I could not flip the windscreen down with the later wiper type arrangement.

Electric fans - mostly reliability. Retro fitted, there are lots out there with sub-quality wiring and switching. They tend not to get used for long periods - so have plenty of time to clog up with crap from the natural driving a 4x4 encounters (mud and water) so there's a greater chance they are not going to turn on when switch is flicked or termo-switch trips (motor over heats, or draws high start up current and blows fuse). With engines like landrover TDI's in the mix - I'd rather not increase any risk of over heating one. Mechanical ones just work properly with great reliability and even the hydrostatic ones fail safe- my preference is standard mechanical.
This series 1 will likely keep a leccy fan as modifying to fit the MOD metal fan will be a bit problematic. I first need to replace the series rad with a 200 TDI one (the TD rad that came with engine is way too big to fit to physically fit into series and 300tdi rads are plumbed wrong side) Though, when it was hot day last weekend the temp went up to 3/4 and was held at bay by the fan even driving it hard up the hills onto the ridgeway so there's not really a major cooling problem with the truck.

LandRoger:
My 90 with Disco 200tdi had NO fan fitted I drove it like that for months until fitting a leccy one from an Astra!with a manual switch that I prefer+ warning light . :wink:

Saffy:
Aye, but not something i'd promote.

Saffy:
Drove S1 to work on a hot day last week and return journey the temp gauge was sat just in red after about a mile driving - leccy fan was on but not helping. Pulled over and engine wasn't over heating as far as I could make out.  Drove the other 19 miles home expecting engine to puke any moment but seems it was just the temp sender that puked on me.

Decided to buy a series III sender to match the sIII temp gauge. Was expecting to have to modify or make an adaptor for the thread difference but turned out to be correct fit for the 19J 2.5TD also. It's a 560794 part number and my 19J has the sender fitted in the top of head towards the rear of the engine above the exhaust manifold (some have the sensor up front near or on the thermostat housing).

Temperature reads more sensible now on the gauge. Not sure I need worry about fitting a TDI rad anymore ---- more testing needed.

lambert:
That's a happy coincidence then. Hope it saves it from boiling without telling you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version