AuthorTopic: It lives !  (Read 42496 times)

Offline Saffy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
  • Referrals: 0
Re: It lives !
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2012, 17:17:35 »
End is in sight - kinda.

to do...

bolt up wings to front panel.
install Front panel loom.
Wire up some sort of leccy fan control.
Fit the oil cooler (no idea how I'm going to connect it up yet)
Fit exhaust reducer (temp solution)
figure out what I am going to do in regards to the temp/oil sensors
figure out what I am going to do with air intake/ air filter.
block off the heater pipes (no heater in my truck)
add coolant - engine oil - fuel and fire it up and write a list of snags :D

sod the rain - hauled out the angle grinder and MIG and made the exhaust.  I used an online company to make be a custom sized reducer - 60mm to 47mm........ OMG they need to invest in a tape measure - even totally clamped down there is a 3mm gap... useless. So I welded it - job done.

Oil pressure switch was simple as extending and  pushing on the existing series spade. 
The coolant temp sensor needed swapping - how surprised was I that the thread was the same between the engines... not complaining about that!
My truck has a oil temp gauge - the 19j hasn't got as standard. Wondering if there is a plugged port that I can use as it would be nice to have that sensor working.

Still haven't done the front loom, oil cooler or leccy fan or air intake BUT I couldn't wait so put in the coolant - fuel and engine oil and fired the beast up  :grin: Once primed it ran - whoop. 
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2012, 06:07:07 »
Keep at it, don't let the rain put you off too much.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2012, 18:47:35 »
woohoo it's done and been for a test drive on sailsbury plain. Drives lovely, totally different with both the engine and SIII gearbox (was a sII non synchro before). Very chuffed with the 19J turbo diesel - more than enough power there and very responsive too.  Wish I never sold off my overdrive though :rolleyes:

Couple of snags on the list but minor stuff.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2012, 06:44:07 »
Well done. Let's have some pics of the finished install then.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2012, 07:39:38 »

Not much to see really. Uses a modified rover air box with a K&N cone filter mounted inside.

Exhaust uses the top 10 inch or so of the 2.5TD's down pipe to mate to the manifold, goes into a reducer on the vertical and then on to the series exhaust. The reduction didn't have any noticeable effect on performance so will be in no rush to replace the rest of system with bigger bore.

Oil cooler is mounted vertical behind the rad on the off side, held in place with brackets welded to the radiator side. Uses the 2.5TD oil cooler pipes bent and wriggled to fit. Will be replacing these with nice new routed pipes at some point.

Battery lives under passenger seat.

Original starter solenoid is now used as a relay for the glow plugs.

Old (large) Kenlow fan fitted in the front of the rad. If truck is left to idle a long time with a few rev's thrown in then the temp goes up to 3/4 of gauge and the oil is flowing through the oil cooler but I bottle it and turn on the fan which bring the temp down to halfway and maintains it. On the road I didn't need the fan until pulling up and idling after a hill climb where temp had to be controlled with fan. I want to modify the front pulley and the old series MOD mechanical fan and fit that somehow. I dislike leccy fans on 4x4 unless that is no choice.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:41:22 by Saffy »

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2012, 12:45:35 »
Put it work today with the Dump Run and also collected some gravel.

On the way back from Wicks store the engine cut out and truck rolled to a stop.  :shocked:  checked the vitals and everything looked fine - oil/water/fuel/ stop solonoid click click, no obvious leaks or high temps. Then I remembered the last thing I did last night when parking up was to turn off the inline fuel tap  :embarrassed:  Had driven close to 2 miles with the fuel turned off !

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2012, 08:02:18 »
Looks good, what's the insurance like on that with all the mods.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2012, 18:40:58 »
Looks good, what's the insurance like on that with all the mods.

A massive 25 quid increase for change of engine details. So can't remember... erm something like 130 fully comp in total.  Got to do the DVLA logbook change next.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2012, 21:03:46 »
No I'm genuinely interested as the last engine I replaced cost an extra grand to cover though it was to make a vr6 polo which may explain that.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2012, 19:53:41 »
Didn't like the pipes I used for the oil cooler. i just jury rigged the old defenders pipes and eased some bends into to and routed them all over till them mated to the oil cooler. Was a do for now but I suspected they restricted the flow and could brake due to work hardening of the metal pipe.

Sooooooooo didn't want to pay someone to make up hoses (and get it wrong) and didn't want to risk cutting and jublee clipping hoses on to normal fittings (some people say it's okay). Then I found fit for purpose products at Merlin Motorsport....

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/OIL-SYSTEMS-Oil-Hose-Unions-Aeroquip-Fir-Tree-Oil-Unions/c162_213_3430/index.html?page=2

Aeroquip FIRTREE unions for use with the proper push fit AEROQUIP hose .  Major effort to put together but the result is great stuff. So if anyone need to make up some custom oil cooler hoses then this Aeroquip is one way to go. The Hose itself is rated at 300psi and these push fit joints are good for 150psi.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2012, 20:03:04 »
Other issues of the day .......

The engine is old but isn't chuffin like a train - but it does chuck oil out the rocker cover breather on prolonged high revs . Final destination of the breather is my air filter box intake. So oiled up air filter (common for 19J!) and oil that drips out of the aircleaner intake when parked up.  I have made a baffled oil catcher tank to sit inline between the rocker and air intake - just need to mount it and test it. Hopefully it will help.

Steering box is leaking! Deep joy.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2012, 19:02:01 »
Still waiting for my V5 back from the DVLA.... taking their time will have to give a call next week.

I want the docs back so that I can send them straight back to the DVLA and get the registration number transferred to the Defender.   :kiss:

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2012, 23:16:59 »
That would be the joy of cherished number plates. They have always benefited from a visit to the local office when I have moved mine. Vosa ~ pita.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2012, 18:15:03 »
Plates all swapped.

The Series new plate is

YUM

I like it. 

Bought an overdrive and fitted it this weekend. Takes the edge off the high revs in 4th.  Bought some 7.50 tyres on LWB rims which will look more suitable for the truck.

Offline Welshbreed

Attack Member
  • Motorsport Service & Repair Level 3 Technician
    • @MrSmeeZus
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2013, 22:11:18 »
Anything new here then?

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2013, 11:57:58 »

Truck been taken out occasional, mostly for dump runs as it easier to get crap in and out of and less hassle parking up in the recycle centre.
MOT negated this time around as it no longer needed.
Interior panels coated in liquid tub liner.
Door mirrors replaced again (going to need a supply of these and treat them as consumables!)
Canvas has held up well with no bad shrinkage.
Truck spent whole winter season with no door tops on and suffered no ill.
Engine likes at least 20 seconds of glow plug and it will then start on first turn when cold.

Updated to do list:
Took the thread plate off wing tops so there a colour mix match and lots of flakey paint -- whole truck front end and doors could do with a splash of green paint.
Still only have one windscreen motor and wiper, be nice to have two though not legally needed.
Would like to fit a better steering wheel then the button that's on it at moment. I have a pinch bolt type boss to fit too.
Handbrake / overdrive linkages some how hit hard against seat box when hand brake is fully up - lots of vibration at idle - need to sort that
Needs a better radiator fitted, the series one does not seem to make the grade with the TD engine. a de-framed 200tdi rad would do the trick.
Defender intake grill in wing that covers a hole need to be patched.
Need a spare wheel. Need a 86 inch series 1 bonnet with spare wheel mount plate fitted or just the plate to fit to existing bonnet.
Want replace the crappy retro fitted fuse box with a better arrangement.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2013, 16:15:31 »
Looking good.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline brixworth-alan

Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2013, 21:22:16 »
What tyres are you running saffy? I need to consider new boots on mine as mine were sat with not enough air, in a load of nails in a field through 15 winters.... Im thinking they might not stand much road use...

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2013, 19:14:29 »
What tyres are you running saffy? I need to consider new boots on mine as mine were sat with not enough air, in a load of nails in a field through 15 winters.... Im thinking they might not stand much road use...
crossply widow makers, lose it early (esp in wet) but highly recoverable before the point of no return as long as your expecting the sideways slide.

these pretty much have all the same pattern:

Goodyear Hi Miler Xtra Grip 7.50
Deestone Extra Grip
Security ML814
Flamingo TM718
Kenda X-Grip

updated photo of truck, that last one been around a bit. Mirrors moved to doors top hinges. These are spare set of door top that are not glazed, I keep these on all the time now - no need for windows!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 22:37:28 by Saffy »

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2013, 20:54:33 »
She 553 YUM looks swell M8 , I have a Defender wiper motor with drive and the mounting stems for the wipers if you want it as a freebee its in very good nick .what is it about leckie fans you don't like?its one of my first mods to any Landy  they don't take any power away from underpowered engines and a small bonus in the mpg so im led to believe, if you want w/motor etc can meet on the Plain sometime .
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2013, 22:32:29 »
She 553 YUM looks swell M8 , I have a Defender wiper motor with drive and the mounting stems for the wipers if you want it as a freebee its in very good nick .what is it about leckie fans you don't like?its one of my first mods to any Landy  they don't take any power away from underpowered engines and a small bonus in the mpg so im led to believe, if you want w/motor etc can meet on the Plain sometime .

Thanks for the offer Roger...buuuuuut the truck used to have SERIES3 wiper set up (same as defender pretty much) which was all retro fitted nicely and all very sensible, so I removed it and fitted the early series individual motors that are supposed to be on it (well just one of them so far!) because they are more funky and age related (not a major factor on this truck I know but heh ho). The one that is fitted works really well and pulls the wiper blade back and forth with quite a bit of torque.  .....Oh I remember now.... there was a sensible reason for my madness, I could not flip the windscreen down with the later wiper type arrangement.

Electric fans - mostly reliability. Retro fitted, there are lots out there with sub-quality wiring and switching. They tend not to get used for long periods - so have plenty of time to clog up with crap from the natural driving a 4x4 encounters (mud and water) so there's a greater chance they are not going to turn on when switch is flicked or termo-switch trips (motor over heats, or draws high start up current and blows fuse). With engines like landrover TDI's in the mix - I'd rather not increase any risk of over heating one. Mechanical ones just work properly with great reliability and even the hydrostatic ones fail safe- my preference is standard mechanical.
This series 1 will likely keep a leccy fan as modifying to fit the MOD metal fan will be a bit problematic. I first need to replace the series rad with a 200 TDI one (the TD rad that came with engine is way too big to fit to physically fit into series and 300tdi rads are plumbed wrong side) Though, when it was hot day last weekend the temp went up to 3/4 and was held at bay by the fan even driving it hard up the hills onto the ridgeway so there's not really a major cooling problem with the truck.

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2013, 18:44:19 »
My 90 with Disco 200tdi had NO fan fitted I drove it like that for months until fitting a leccy one from an Astra!with a manual switch that I prefer+ warning light . :wink:
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2013, 19:29:56 »
Aye, but not something i'd promote.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2013, 19:43:35 »
Drove S1 to work on a hot day last week and return journey the temp gauge was sat just in red after about a mile driving - leccy fan was on but not helping. Pulled over and engine wasn't over heating as far as I could make out.  Drove the other 19 miles home expecting engine to puke any moment but seems it was just the temp sender that puked on me.

Decided to buy a series III sender to match the sIII temp gauge. Was expecting to have to modify or make an adaptor for the thread difference but turned out to be correct fit for the 19J 2.5TD also. It's a 560794 part number and my 19J has the sender fitted in the top of head towards the rear of the engine above the exhaust manifold (some have the sensor up front near or on the thermostat housing).

Temperature reads more sensible now on the gauge. Not sure I need worry about fitting a TDI rad anymore ---- more testing needed.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2013, 06:45:13 »
That's a happy coincidence then. Hope it saves it from boiling without telling you.
Lambert Coverdale.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal