AuthorTopic: It lives !  (Read 42493 times)

Offline lambert

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
  • Referrals: 0
Re: It lives !
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 16:18:40 »
(in best lou and andy voice)  "a want that one!"
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 18:49:39 »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 19:08:54 »
The landy train is off...

They should have a rule that if you can't see the Severn Bridge then you don't have to pay!

The toll women didn't laugh either.

Despite half blinding the MOT guy when it dripped oil in his eye - the truck PASSED with no advisories.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 20:06:38 »
Yay go you!
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Welshbreed

Attack Member
  • Motorsport Service & Repair Level 3 Technician
    • @MrSmeeZus
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 22:06:03 »
congrats man. Cant wait to see the next few mods... now its legal and all! :evil:

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 06:54:59 »
Not sure about mods but next move is to swap out the gearbox for a recon late SIII model that I have in the shed.  I think will really need to take the head off check for a burnt valve once and for all. The holes are already in the tub for a roll hoop...

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 18:00:35 »
New set of NGK plugs and a new set of leads yesterday and it running nicer. Topping out about 50mph.... used to do 70mph. Will do the valve clearances and ignition timing and see how things go. Do think it might have suffered some valve seat regression as I remember the gaps closing up suddenly between services.
As it is, it does run fairly briskly and so took it out for a wee trip onto the Plains - forgot how harsh it is over bumps  :shocked:

Had a smile on my face anyway.

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 23:27:19 »
jack the chassis up so the axles hang from the springs and slather plenty of EP90 in between the leaves then get back out laning with a bit of weight in the tub to get the springs working and clearing out the rust, once working properly they ain't as bad as you might think they are

i spent about a month oiling and cleaning the springs on my first landrover, they were just as good as the cheap paras i replaced them with, so all i got was a chassis lift with the paras  :laugh:
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 10:02:54 »
jack the chassis up so the axles hang from the springs and slather plenty of EP90 in between the leaves then get back out laning with a bit of weight in the tub to get the springs working and clearing out the rust, once working properly they ain't as bad as you might think they are

i spent about a month oiling and cleaning the springs on my first landrover, they were just as good as the cheap paras i replaced them with, so all i got was a chassis lift with the paras  :laugh:

ah cheers but I should have mentioned by now it's on parabolic springs. It's normal ride is not harsh but going over speed humps or pot holes at anything other than super dead slow will make the front end bottom out onto the bump stops.
This is where it gets funky..... 
There is only about 2 inch travel on the front end due to the bumpstop pads being lowered. They are lowered in an attempt to prevent the Engine's crank pulley HITTING THE AXLE in extreme conditions. Seems to vary but in my case 86inch S1 + SIII 2.25 engine + SIII LWB axles = awkward engine bay geometry. During a few greenlane trips I heard/felt odd noise and noticed marking on the top of the axle and in the crank pulley - with the extended bumpstops it never happened again but resulted in this bang harshness when dropping into a hole. 
As it's been a few years since playing with truck, maybe it time to have a look to see if there is an alternative solution.

Offline Welshbreed

Attack Member
    • @MrSmeeZus
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 21:22:56 »
if your going to do the engine, might as well take it to bits, check the bearing caps or wear and piston heads for build up of coke etc. replace spark plugs, ignition & Valve timing. check the sleeves for scores...  be a fun day doing all that :cheesy: made myself a bit jealous there...

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 20:14:46 »
picked this roll cage/hoop tonight...... dunno if to fit or not.... whatcha all think?

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 12:04:07 »
rollcage.. are you intending to turn it upside down ??

it sounds like your front springs are knackered if you're hitting the axle case, i run para's on my 88" but i also have a disco 200tdi fitted

when i originally fitted it i struck the front axle with the crank pulley which necessitated i put the pulley on the lathe to remove the rear Vee and take a couple of mm off the front lip (cast iron pulley)

i also got 4 thick shock top washers and fitted 1 below and 1 above both the engine mount rubbers giving me approx' 1/4" engine lift, i haven't hit the axle since

i did consider bumpstop extensions but i wanted to retain articulation and compression, i've been lucky and not had a problem

i do offroad and greenlane in this motor and i'm not shy of giving it welly when i need to

measure your bumpstop to axle space, i'll try to remember to check what the standard space is supposed to be
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 18:38:25 »
rollcage.. are you intending to turn it upside down ??

it sounds like your front springs are knackered if you're hitting the axle case, i run para's on my 88" but i also have a disco 200tdi fitted

when i originally fitted it i struck the front axle with the crank pulley which necessitated i put the pulley on the lathe to remove the rear Vee and take a couple of mm off the front lip (cast iron pulley)

i also got 4 thick shock top washers and fitted 1 below and 1 above both the engine mount rubbers giving me approx' 1/4" engine lift, i haven't hit the axle since

i did consider bumpstop extensions but i wanted to retain articulation and compression, i've been lucky and not had a problem

i do offroad and greenlane in this motor and i'm not shy of giving it welly when i need to

measure your bumpstop to axle space, i'll try to remember to check what the standard space is supposed to be

Roll hoop more of a method to get the seat belts back in as I can mount the upper seat belt point on the hoop verticals- Haven't made up mind yet as I am loath to put more holes in the poor truck and I would need to make up the chassis mounts too.

Paras not knackered as they are new and it did same on the standard springs which where also new, and also the same with the old MOD light weight springs I had on it when I got it - but they where floppy things. I think the reason the 88 inch came about is because the 2.25 didn't bode well in the 86" bay. The pulley trim is not a bad shout as it's a 'civvy spec' MOD engine fitted with twin belt V pulley fitted and so it could easily lose the front unused groove and gain some clearance.

Raising the engine in it's mounts has issues of itself. Another quirk is that as it stands I can not fit a standard elbow to the zenith carb as there is not enough clearance between the top of the carb and the bonnet. I have had a 'bubble' in the bonnet in the past to allow fitting but since put the bonnet back to standard and made a custom 'pancake' elbow to fit instead. Raising the engine would cause problems.

I just have to take it slow dropping into holes or get a compacted spine.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2012, 19:49:21 »
Decided against roll cage.

Gearbox and tranny have been leaking oil big time from rear and front oil seals. It's a series II box without syncromesh on 1st and 2nd but that never bothered me........ but seeing it's peeing out oil and I have had an MOD reconditioned SIII box (less than 20k on it) sitting in the shed since i've owned the truck.... It's time for a change....

Not to much of a pig to get out and even easier sliding replacement back in. The mounts that where on it are totally different so they needed swapping over. Drives nice.

I sold a recon 200tdi genuine defender engine and all parts needs for a conversion to a neighbour couple year ago and kicked myself for it. Anyway he has only just got around to fitting it to the 90 he has has in storage. So I bought the 19J TD (i know, I know) that was in the 90 and plan to fit it into the series very soon. Modifying the offside chassis engine mount worries me a bit but I am committed to do the job now. Should be a nice match for car and gearbox.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 14:49:15 »
and... today.... out comes the engine...

Took four hours in the wind and rain.

Next weekend engine insertion exercises are planned.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 14:54:17 by Saffy »

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 20:23:45 »
There are worse ways if spending a wet bank holiday Monday than taking engines out of land rovers.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2012, 00:57:07 »
the 19j should have an easier life in this  being as it's something like 1/2 a ton lighter, maybe an intercooler to help keep intake temperatures down ??  thus helping on temperatures in general

an overdrive or 3.54 diffs to help keep the revs down or even a high ratio transfer box, all possibilities to help protect the engine

anyway regardless of my ideas/thoughts i hope you're enjoying it  :grin:
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2012, 20:24:45 »
the 19j should have an easier life in this  being as it's something like 1/2 a ton lighter, maybe an intercooler to help keep intake temperatures down ??  thus helping on temperatures in general

an overdrive or 3.54 diffs to help keep the revs down or even a high ratio transfer box, all possibilities to help protect the engine

anyway regardless of my ideas/thoughts i hope you're enjoying it  :grin:

Thinking of intercooler as I have a couple of standard tdi's ones here but that'll be a future project.
I have only got as far as modifying the o/s engine mount on chassis, fitting a new clutch plate and bolting the lump in place.... oh and making a throttle linkage.

Had looksee at seeing if I could get the TD's standard radiator in but there's no chance on the height. A defender tdi one will fit in the 86 inch but I have not one spare. So have fitted the 2.25 thermostat housing on the TD and will use the Series Rad with Series top house. Haven't figured the bottom hose yet will have to make one up. Do not know what impact having a non-pressurised coolant system will be.

Main issue at moment is that ditching the TD radiator means no oil cooler, some people block it off it seems but being a 19J it might be wise to fit a separate one. There are quite cheap 13 row MG ones on ebay which are a nice size - do not know if the fittings are right though?

Need to plumb in the fuel and electrics yet. Might do those tomorrow and worry about cooling and oil next week   :undecided:

oh and the exhaust needs thinking about... forgot that  :grin:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 21:01:42 by Saffy »

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2012, 15:08:34 »
I've plugged up the oil cooler ports on the engine for the moment using brass radiator plugs from BnQ. Any thoughts on doing that?

Fuel plumbing is going to be easy.

Have made up a bottom hose to rad, so that's ready to go.

Found the old kenlow fan that was fitted to the truck many moons ago.

haven't really done much - stupid rain showers every 5 minutes annoyed the hell out of me.

Another job that needs doing is that battery needs relocating into the passenger seat box. Will need to bolt the seatbox back in first though  :cheesy:

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2012, 22:04:44 »
i've no idea really about the 19j except they've a poor reputation so can't offer any suggestions about blanking off the oil cooler ports, i've no idea if it works in the same way as the Tdi with the thermostat in the oil union/housing

i sympathise with you about the showers, i've loads of work i want/got to do and i'm sick of being soaked even with my canvas up   :sad:
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2012, 22:08:57 »
i've no idea really about the 19j except they've a poor reputation so can't offer any suggestions about blanking off the oil cooler ports, i've no idea if it works in the same way as the Tdi with the thermostat in the oil union/housing

i sympathise with you about the showers, i've loads of work i want/got to do and i'm sick of being soaked even with my canvas up   :sad:

...if it did work in the same way as the tdi (i think it does have some sort of valve thing going on to control flow through oil cooler) then what impact would blanking off be? not going to effect oil flow through engine  or something? I planned on running it like that until I sort something out with oil cooler. I was hoping it be okay as I not going to be belting around above 55mph - no towing no loads cept my lard butt.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2012, 22:40:47 »

...if it did work in the same way as the tdi (i think it does have some sort of valve thing going on to control flow through oil cooler) then what impact would blanking off be? not going to effect oil flow through engine  or something? I planned on running it like that until I sort something out with oil cooler. I was hoping it be okay as I not going to be belting around above 55mph - no towing no loads cept my lard butt.

well duh ...... I am a dumb ass ( well nearly) did some more research and I will need to remove the oil thermostat from inside the filter housing else if when oil is hot enough the thermostat will open and try to route the oil through the no existent oil cooler, cut the oil supply all together and engine melts :D

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 19:00:22 »
......and now........ have ordered an after market oil cooler and a couple of 1/2inch bsp female/female adaptors..... change my mind like a women, but the thought of ditching the oil cooler on a 19J irks me.

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2012, 20:07:19 »
looks like you're sorted, good to hear of progress  :grin:
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2012, 14:15:04 »
Have the oil cooler, looks sweet but haven't plumbed yet as other things need doing first.

Drained the petrol out of the tank (filled 20litre jerry !).  Fitted a fuel return to the tank. Fitted the TD fuel filter housing to the bulk head and plumbed all the fuel lines in. All in the rain of course. Getting a tad tired of the weather now as a two day job is taking for ever. Have booked a week off next month so it better be fair sailing.

Next on the list is fitting the seatbox back in. Fitting battery into the seatbox and route the charging cabling, wire up starter motor, do the chassis/engine block earth straps.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2012, 22:48:29 »
Battery now mounted into the seat box. New cables made up from battery to starter motor solenoid and earth strap to chassis. Made a start on some of the loom mods. The starter turns over with key so that's sorted.

Have refitted the original series solenoid to the the bulkhead and have routed the glow plug cabling through it.

such slow progress  :rolleyes:

Offline Welshbreed

Attack Member
    • @MrSmeeZus
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2012, 18:36:26 »
such slow progress  :rolleyes:

As is life my friend, as is life

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2012, 21:13:51 »
End is in sight - kinda.

to do...

bolt up wings to front panel.
install Front panel loom.
Wire up some sort of leccy fan control.
Fit the oil cooler (no idea how I'm going to connect it up yet)
Fit exhaust reducer (temp solution)
figure out what I am going to do in regards to the temp/oil sensors
figure out what I am going to do with air intake/ air filter.
block off the heater pipes (no heater in my truck)
add coolant - engine oil - fuel and fire it up and write a list of snags :D

Offline Hightower

Attack Member
It lives !
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2012, 22:19:02 »
Good on you Saffy.

I know exactly how you feel.  Still to do on mine:
Bolt on wings, fit mud guards underneath
Fit doors
Glaze door tops
Wire up lights front and rear
Rejig seat mounts

Looking for some good weather to finish....
Simon
1998 Disco Series II Td5 - Not standard
1972 88" Series 3 - The project

Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
1st Overall - 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005
3rd Overall - 2007

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2012, 07:44:26 »
So near to done, well done both of you.
Lambert Coverdale.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal