Vehicle & Technical > Series Land Rovers

It lives !

(1/17) > >>

Saffy:
My series 1 (aka the garden shed as it full to roof with junk) hasn't been run for over a year.

Wanted to gauge how much work needs doing to because it been laid up for about 3 years or more. There was a dim glow from the ignition lamp and just a 'click' from the solenoid.

Gave it a crank on the starter handle and nothing.

No fuel !

10 litres of unleaded later ---------ah the smell of petrol been so long.

Mechanical fuel pump not priming, so into man shed and pull out a ropey looking 'spare' and fitted it.

Bit of fuel poured directly into the solex carb.

Half a crank with the handle and the 2.25 purred into life.  :grin:

Need wheel and tyres, set of front lights, service and all the junk removed before I can give it a good going over. Should not be too bad as it was tidied up and MOT'd before being laid up.

Anyway I'm keeping it and making it into the fun ride that I want and ditching the Disco.

lambert:
Nice one!

Saffy:
Quite a bit to do with the oily rag - but not too bad, but limited by weekends and daylight hours to do work at moment. I'm doing the sensible thing and ignoring all of its problems and buying a rag top for it first.

I have a fair amount of spares for the truck, new and old. It's on SIII axles and ex-mod recon 2.25 petrol engine. It has parabolic springs. And the widget thingie that replaces the points which I remember was a God send.

Last time I was using it I was suspecting a blown valve but also the carb could have been issue. I have a serviced carb to put on, if no joy then it may be worth having the head off for a look see... but that's the future as it does run.

This truck was well looked after, serviced regular, and had been refurbed for sale with a new MOT before being laid up. Didn't really want to sell it and wanted to check the valves before I did.... but never got around to it and it's been a garden shed ever since.

Starter motor or solonoid (or both) needs a bit of attention as it's not turning over - clickity click - have to start with handle  :laugh: Have ordered a new solonoid. The starters dog probably needs freeing off.

New battery defo needed.

Need to ditch the oil bath and put the K&N filter back on.

Wheels and tyres..... it doesn't have any that are suitable, it just shod with ropey rolling chassis donuts  :cheesy:

Clutch pedal hits the deck. I have a new master cylinder, and the slave swap is an easy job. Will try some fluid in it on weekend anyway. The clutch plate probably needs freeing off.

Coolant hoses 'look' ok - have spares.

HT leads need new boots. but might as well swap the leads out with plugs, engine oil etc in a service.

Wipers need sorting. I just want to fit an original screen mounted motor to drive side only.

There's no heater fitted, will see how long I can live without as I do not think it going to make a difference.

Front lamps need replacing - have ordered some.

That's the list so far... and I haven't even got to the brakes yet.

This was it in action way back when:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKCy97i4kbs

and how it looked before begin laid up

Landy1uk:
Looks good that must get round to doing my 2a this year

lambert:
i have seen longer lists for asda, you will be out and about in no time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version