AuthorTopic: Good day gone bad  (Read 1582 times)

Offline andrew2986

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
  • Referrals: 0
Good day gone bad
« on: December 20, 2011, 19:25:34 »
Hiya all,

My starter motor was playing up, see my thread in the discovery section, mine is a V8 3.9 and the engine quite modified amongst  other things it has a set of headman exhaust headers and a custom exhaust system.....this is relevant for my story....

Well I've just got back from A&E..
Who would have thought fitting a new starter motor could be so dangerous ???
New starter motor turned up today (excellent service from Rimmers by the way) So off i go to fit it, how hard can it be??? Well very as it turns out.
Only two bolts a big wire a little wire and an earth, easy peasy lemon squeezey.
After farting about for nearly an hour I decide to take the prop shaft off so I can at least get to one of the bloody bolts, this done the first of two bolts are taken out...     
I then spend over an hour trying to get the next bolt out and then come to the painful decision that I'm going to have to take the right hand exhaust header off....it was at that point that my 8LB club hammer fell off the chassis rail where it had been carefully placed and hit me square in the face.. I was lying under the car at the time... was a bit dazed at first then managed to get out from under the car.. two loose front teeth one now with a crack in it a BIG fat lip and a rather startled look from me       
Ive taken a few punches in my time, trust me the club hammer wins every time..
So I have a cup of tea and crack on.....
Headers come off with all the aggravation I was expecting...it was just a [!Expletive Deleted!] job, the last bolt of the starter motor ,terrified, gave in immediately and before I knew it the new starter is fitted and even the headers go back on to the block relatively easily, so then I pop under the car and go to connect the collector to the y piece, put some exhaust paste round the joint and push them together at that point a dollop of the paste falls from the pipe straight into my eye       
Immediate pain oh my GOD evacuate from under the car fast as you like pain pain pain banging head, wrist, back, shoulder trying to get out OOH MY GOD PAIN PAIN PAIN run into house and dump water into my eye look in the mirror and freak out my eye is completely red with a jelly like goo oozing out of it oh and I cannot see anything from it... complete freak out time, Miriam took me to hospital, she phones ahead to make sure there is an optimologist (?) ready (its good to have a partner in high places) and off we go... being blind in one eye would be a really bad career move for a projectionist.

So I'm back now I can see out of the damaged eye, turns out although the stuff wasn't corrosive or caustic, my eye had an allergic reaction to whatever it was.. hence the goo and the redness. had my eye irrigated for what seems like hours and I have a scratch in the lower part of my eye that will hopefully not have any impact on my vision.
cars not going anywhere till the exhaust and the prop are put back on, doesn't matter because I can't drive for at least a week... might be sooner subject to another examination tomorrow...

OH POOOOO

Andy
Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: Good day gone bad
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 19:57:25 »
ow and ow  :shocked:
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 21:00:33 »
Dude! That sucks big time. Hope the eye is good soon.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline piggysteve

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 16:47:31 »
Nasty Andy, hope it gets better soon, none of these jobs go as easy as they should.

I dropped an exhaust fitting it to an old series 3, trouble is it took my ear with it lol.

See you soon I hope

Steve
Ex pat Yorkshireman.

P38 diesel

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 22:41:58 »
Commiserations matey... Bet you'll be thinking about where you put your tools mid job... and investing in a set of safety glasses!

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 23:03:21 »
Yes and yes !!!
Infact I bought a pair today ! ( I still have to finish putting the motor back together )
I'm still suffering from an allergic reaction to the stuff
That fell in my eye so am on all kinds of pills and creams. Plus another trip to the hospital tomorrow for another check up.
On a darker note it would apear that in all the commotion yesterday some scrote has nicked my 18v DeWalt impact driver from beside the Disco. My boy kindly picked up all the tools and bits and bobs and put them in the back of the motor but the impact gun was defiantly gone...
Andy
Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 08:31:14 »
I've had a tiny fleck of exhaust assembly paste in the eye and the pain seemed like it could only be topped by a jabbing with hot pokers, defo not good stuff.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal