AuthorTopic: bought a pajero an its got no power  (Read 17707 times)

Offline chrisdisco

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
bought a pajero an its got no power
« on: June 20, 2011, 17:12:18 »
hi all, i bought a L reg lwb pajero 2.8 auto last night on ebay, did the silly thing of just trusting the owner an buying it an paying pay pal,  so i picked it up from plympton an drove back, all seemed ok,  after about 20 mile it lost all power didn't seem to rev over 3,000,,

ive been told today the oil pressure switch it leaking oil a lot an that thats put truck into safe mode, does this sound right to u guys, also its kicking out a lot of black smoke,

thanks in advance,

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Re: bought a pajero an its got no power
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 18:27:41 »
might be in limp mode think its time to get its codes read anyone local to you in the paj club that can assist?

you say you've been told ot may be the oil switch did the oil light come on at any time?
have you checked the dip stick?

cud be something like crank sensor failing,
does it run ok once cold?

Simon

Offline chrisdisco

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 18:33:41 »
thanks for reply,

yeah all seemed ok when cold, didn't notice any oil lights come on,  there is oil init but thinking if there is a prob the might of topped it up before i picked it up.

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 19:07:47 »
have you tried it again once its cooled down again to see if it runs ok?

Offline carole

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 19:16:56 »
hi all, i bought a L reg lwb pajero 2.8 auto last night on ebay, did the silly thing of just trusting the owner an buying it an paying pay pal, 

you have done a sensible thing paying by paypal..... if the seller advertised incorrectly you can get paypal involved and get a refund. If you had paid cash unfortunately you would have no comeback!

Offline chrisdisco

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 19:20:01 »
hi im going to take it for another run in a mo to see, i did pay by pay pal so might do that if i have to, but other then this prob it seems like a good truck, so dont really wanna do that yet.

Offline chrisdisco

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 20:06:08 »
ive just took it for a drive down the road an back from cold, it drove fine, all as it should, im guessing that when it warms up it goes into limp mode,

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 20:15:59 »
chris personally if your wishing to keep it
get in touch with the seller and explain wots happening pound they'll say it was fine but its worth a try to get some funds back
or

get it plugged in to see if it brings up any codes then we can go from their

Offline chrisdisco

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 20:23:32 »
im trying to get some funds back of them as we speak, they just keep saying that there was nothing wrong with it when they sold it,

think i'll do what u say an get a garage to plug it in to fault code reader, when it comes up with faults i got something to go back to then with,

Offline chrisdisco

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 20:35:35 »
heres a pic of the poor old girl

Offline JIMBOBLY

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 21:17:09 »
1 of 2 things i reckon,either split turbo pipe,or if its still got egr valve on,its probly jammed,just a thought,hope it help

Offline Jas278

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 08:29:47 »
Blank the EGR off ......... :cool:

Discovery TD5......Tricked Up..

Offline mickharv2003

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 22:06:03 »
Also try the fuel filter.Had a very similar problem last year on a 2.8 Shogun,Was on my way to Nottingham from Birmingham,and as i travelled i noticed more and more a loss of power and a reluctancy to rev over 2000 revs.Got the RAC out as i thought turbo or something.They recovered me home,and i had a look see myself.Opened the drain plug on filter and nothing came out.Strange i thought.Took off filter and undid large plastic nut at bottom.Filter was full of a hair like substance.Replaced filter with a new one,Ran as sweet as a nut after

Offline 4fingers

Attack Member
  • Water & Mud = ALOT OF FUN
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 21:10:43 »
Did you get any fault codes on this issue?

Mitsi engines are not prone to loosing power, especially when warm but  these are some reasons for this fault to occur.

Worn seals in fuel pump. Not the front seal but internal veins become weak. Works great from cold but once engine heats up and the heat transfers to the diesel pump the veins loose their solid state and flex causing loss of pressure to injectors. This in turn can cause black smoke as the fuel air ratio is wrong when combusted.

EGR Valve stuck or sticking open allowing constant exhausts gasses to travel back into inlet manifold thus choking the engine. This is sometimes shown by engine getting hot very quick and running above normal operating temps.

Blocked fuel filter. But this is normally a constant loss of power from cold not just when warm.

Also, check rubber fuel line to filter and to the pump. If these are old, they can swell with the heat from the engine causing the internal diameter of the pipe to shrink which reduces fuel flow starving the pump of fuel.

I would be very suprised if the oil pressure switch is at fault even if it is leaking oil.
I had a huge oil leak from the oil pressure switch as the washer had perished but it never gave any running issues, just leaked oil everywhere as it is under pressure.

Hope this helps.

2.8TD MITSUBISHI SHOGUN RUN ON HOME BREW BIO DIESEL AS EVERYDAY DRIVER.

RRC 4.2 V8 SUPERCHIPPED & ON LPG
8MM SILICONE LEADS WATER PROOF DIZZY 3" SUSPENSION LIFT DOUBLE SHOCKED DISLOCATION CONES POLYBUSHED 12500LB FRONT WINCH & BUMPER  9500LB REAR WINCH & TUBE REAR BUMPER HEAVY DUTY STEERING ARMS ADJUSTABLE A FRAME JOINT ARMY ISSUE REAR HALF SHAFTS AND END CAPS DIFF GUARD'S 267 75 16 INSA TURBO SPECIAL TRACK'S 4" BODY LIFT (PLAY TOY)
!V8 POWER ONLY MILK COMES IN 2LITRES!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal