AuthorTopic: wheel balancing 31's on my Ford Ranger - cant get rid of wobble !!!!  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Loneranger

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Hi,

Any ideas, i have some technic tracker all terrains on my Ranger 31 x 10.5 x 15's.

Second hand tyres but with plenty of tread, have been balanced at two different garges and both come up with different readings and both state wheels are balanced.
When i leave said garages the wobble returns, road tyres were fitted before with no issues.

One place has suggested finding a fitter in northampton area, as thats where i live,  that has an adapted for bigger wheels, does this sound right to anyone.

Any other ideas please.

Pete

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
Re: wheel balancing 31's on my Ford Ranger - cant get rid of wobble !!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:38:45 »
Stick about 250 grams of plastic BB shot in the tyres and take all of the weights off.

Sounds like you've a buckled wheel though.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline LiftedDisco

Attack Member
Re: wheel balancing 31's on my Ford Ranger - cant get rid of wobble !!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 13:22:13 »
Blimey Pete... you still not sorted?

Who else has the same stud pattern?  Jacqui's wheels and tyres are off the Paj (but she wants stupid money for them...) but is it worth slapping them on to see if the problem persists... ie is vehicle related?

Equally, if you want to look at balencing issues, try Loughrans in Towcester - speak to Richard and say I sent you... or R&C at Cranfield sell (and fit) the balancing beads... possibly a good idea if the issue is tyre related.

Hope this helps... hope you read it before MC goes down...
Discovery 300 Tdi - 2" lift, side exit exhaust, HD bumpers, T-Maxx 9500, removable tow hitch, snorkel and 235/85's

Discovery 4 Commercial - very standard but very nice!

Freelander 2 TD4 - Fun Prevention Officer's

Offline paulnb57

Attack Member
Some wheels locate on the hub using the wheel studs to centre the wheel, some use a machined boss on the hub that locates in the wheel centre - it could be that the balancing machine locates the wheel in the opposite way to which they locate on the truck. Therefore although "balanced" on the machine they are not "balanced" on the truck............it may be worth getting clarification from the main stealer.........
Ede Bibe Lude Post Mortem Nullas Voluptas
Eat Drink Play, after death there is no pleasure.
98 90 300tdi

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
You mean nut centric rather than hub centric.

Can't see it, if the nuts are not centered around the middle of the wheel then the wheel could only possibly go on the hub one way without it being out of true.

I've had the problem with quick fit trying to balance a wheel and telling me that all 4 wheels were buckled when it was obvious that the cone on the balancing machine was too small.  I did walk from there laughing.

BUT - if two places have done the same thing...
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
I think it could be a ranger thing as my stering wheel wobbles too. I used to have bfg at's on and it wobbled and now I have road tyres on it still wobbles until the tyre warms up.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal