AuthorTopic: Special Tracks  (Read 9882 times)

Offline Mark Y

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Special Tracks
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 00:39:11 »
It's not the tyres that cause the damage, how can a tyre be aggressive it's a piece of rubber, it's aggressive driving with any type of tyre that cause damage to lanes. :roll:
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
I can see clearly now, the brain has gone

Discovery 3
Defender 90
Series2a

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 10:00:00 »
It's not the tyres that cause the damage, how can a tyre be aggressive it's a piece of rubber, it's aggressive driving with any type of tyre that cause damage to lanes. :roll:

In which case you've no got out of your truck and looked down whilst laning !!!  There's an expression that you shouldn't follow someone with Simex because you'll not make it since the ground will have been dug up too much (the tyres act like shovels - hence not being classified as mud tyres by the MSA!).

Um

The ground in the tuition area is a mixture of rock and bottomless peat. Previously, the company ran one vehicle on A/Ts

I really hope that the foresty tracks are not green lanes, if so why are you driving any lane which is bottomless peat.  If it's not, and it's private land, it's kinda mute point with regards to this thread, since this it specifically with regards to greenlanes. Yes, a tractor will perform better in a field on agri tyres than a 4x4 with road tyres, but neither are suited for a greenlane really!
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Chris Putt

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 11:34:44 »
I was drawing the comparison between the routes that we drive and greenlanes. The forestry tracks (on a private estate) are very similar in nature to greenlanes, and we use them every day- hence the comment that the impact when driven properly is negligable compared to other tyres we have previously used- it provides a pretty effective 'control' experiment I would say?- Same routes, different tyres, similar environment to greenlanes?

And yes, in our training area (formerly a golf course) there are areas of pretty bottomless peat, but as the area has been previously scarred the estate are not to fussed about us using it- seen as it is essentially dead ground, not suitable for any other use!
'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal