AuthorTopic: HELP! Wheelbearing issues...  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Bikermutt

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • When I rule the world... PANIC!
  • Referrals: 0
HELP! Wheelbearing issues...
« on: October 18, 2010, 21:41:28 »
I have just removed a collapsed wheelbearing on the front O/S of my 92' 200Tdi. I had the shells removed & new ones pressed in at my local garage to ensure they were seated properly. My problem is now I cant get the disc / hub assembly back on far enough to get the washers & locking nuts on. I have checked the bearings & they look absolutely bang on. Am I missing something? Completely baffled as the inner bearing is seated all the way up to the lip on the driveshaft sleeve, yet when I push the outer bearing in there is no thread showing.
Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am relegated to 'Er indoors's' Saxo VTR at mo & am gettin really narked with all the local Yoofs befriending me in Maccy D's carpark... :doh: I see a McKnuckle sandwich being swiftly delivered before long......

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
Re: HELP! Wheelbearing issues...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 22:36:34 »
you may need to use a fine file 7 or some emery paper/cloth on the stub axle as it may have gone 'square', I have had to do his in the past when a bearing has collasped & tried to weld itself to the stub axle

hope that helps

John
John.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 23:06:20 »
Sorry if it's obvious but I know a lad who had the same problem and when we checked the old inner race of the inner bearing was stuck on.  Without the rollers on it it looks like it belongs to the stub axle.

Otherwise as John said the stub axle gets damaged by the seized bearing spinning on the stub, the surface gsts puckered and even when you've got the old bearing off the new one will not always sit well.  I like to replace them becuase the heat can weaken hardened steel like this.

Does it slide freely then hit something like a hard stop, or does it go so far and jam on?

A hard stop would indicate something there that shouldn't be, if it jams on then the stub axle is damaged and the bearing won't slide over it.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Bikermutt

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:10:06 »
Thanks for replies guys, I think my stub axle is scrap..... there is a lip which stops it going any further which could very well be the inner bearing race & it looks like it is part of the stub axle but as you say they have welded themselves on in the past. I am going to take the other side off later after work & replace that one for the hell of it, will have a look at the stub axle on that side & see if it is any different, hopefully this will confirm the problem.

Thanks guys.

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 08:16:17 »
dont forget to fill your location in on your profile, someone may well be local & be able to pop round to give you a hand  :-k

John
John.

Offline Bikermutt

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 17:05:26 »
NNNNNNGGGGGHHHHHH....... I have now replaced the stub axle & wheelbearings. All back together but I cant pull the half shaft out far enough to get the retaining clip on! Any ideas chaps??? Sanity slowly ebbing away after two nights working on it in brass monkey weather!

Offline 300TDi Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 17:07:10 »
I had the same issue and found that the needle roller bearing had broken up in side. Which wouldn't allow me to pull the shaft far enough to put the 2 washers and the sur clip. Took me a couple of hours to do both sides, I also cleaned out the swivels and chucked lots & I do mean lots of grease before putting the hub back on.
Hope this helps.

Let's Ave It.
One Life, Get One

Peugeot 206 XS
Fiat Ducato (work van)
Disco 300TDI

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 17:23:09 »
had a similar prob with a scooby pickup, turned out the garage had not pressed the seats in square so i drifted them out and fitted new ones with a hammer and punch.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 01:41:47 »
It could be the CV joint has slipped inside and needs pulling out, you need to wiggle it into the bearing.  It could also be the bearing has collapsed as suggested.  the end of the CV should have a thread in it and IIC the drive member bolts should fit it and allow you to pull it out.  With new wheel bearings though you need to recheck the endfloat and likely as not you will need new shims for the CV/drive member circlip.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Bikermutt

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 11:26:35 »
All done! Managed to pull it through using a long bolt with socket acting as a puller. What is 'Endfloat'? How do I check it & what should it be?

Cheers in advance

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 20:28:30 »
I always wind one of the bolts from the end cap into the end of the halfshaft to pull it out after Big Rich showed me how lol
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 22:36:31 »
Endfloat is the amount of free play along the axle line.  The CV joint should be able to move only slightly more than the hub on the stub axle.  if the CV is too tight it will try to prevent float in the hub bearings and get destroyed as a result.  If the endflaot is too great the Cv joint runs only part way into it's bearing which then collapses.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal