AuthorTopic: LGV/PCV Driver's CPC course  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Terranger

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
LGV/PCV Driver's CPC course
« on: October 16, 2010, 15:17:53 »
After much argument with the boss, I've persuaded him to pay for my Driver's CPC.

We did our first 7 hour course last week..., verdict..., a complete CROCK!!!

Nothing i was "TAUGHT" ( and i use the word in the loosest sense), i didn't already know.

Another case of the British Government being bent over a table and..., (I'll let you insert your own word), by the EU.
And consequentially, British Drivers being dragged down with them. I can't see the French, Spanish and Italian drivers defferring to the rules.

Where are the Unions when you need them???

Time to get out of the EU! They impose far too many rules and regulations, and our Government bow down to them. No damned back-bone!
Right, rant over..., for now, cos I'm annoyed.
2008 DEFENDER 110 DCPU XS
1984 RRC PICK UP
"SOD THE OZONE, I'M HAVIN' FUN AND THE WEATHER'S LOVELY"!!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Re: LGV/PCV Driver's CPC course
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 15:42:59 »
Successive governments have used the EU as a convenient scapegoat for changes they want to implement but don't want to take the flak for. The right-wing media will follow on happily for their own reasons (a strong EU would be dangerous to the Murdoch empire).

Don't fall for the hype. Nulabour wanted to limit our freedoms and take more of our cash from the beginning, they just blamed the EU for anything they knew would cause a big fuss. If they'd really wanted to keep the UK licence as it stood (with everyone allowed to drive up to 7.5t, etc) they'd have done so and told the EU to go on a long walk off a short pier.

I would like to get the extra trailer classification (to allow me to haul the full 3500kg a Disco is rated to pull - would be handy to have a larger trailer even if I only bought a twin axle beavertail type) but I can't find anything at all about how much it will cost, where I can get training/take the test, etc. In a farming area I would expect there to be at least one driving school advertising widely, but nothing!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Terranger

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 16:20:20 »
Matt, I'm sure if you check out where your local VOSA test station is, You'll find a Driving Standard Agency (DSA), who'll know how to go about getting your required qualification.
I'm sure if you look in the back catalogues of Land Rover Owner/Land Rover Monthly, they did an article referring to trailer courses.
1984 RRC PICK UP

littlepow

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 21:48:28 »
Did see these new CPC posters up at work, fortunately military are excempt - looks like the government doesn't want to pay up!
They seem to be a bit extreme, almost retaking your training and test again!

Offline mytj

Attack Member
  • www.myrubicon.co.uk
    • Billing, Northampton
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 21:50:19 »
just to add fuel to the fire, I heard the age you can drive a HGV on the road (not in the army) is to be dropped from 21 to 18! :doh: All that ' testosterone' in a 44 tonner [-X  
Black 07 jeep wrangler jk rubicon.
  lots of photo's on my web site. www.myrubicon.co.uk

Below is a link to site with some great juggling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDBmXnGaxMI

when i was little i used to go fast down hills on go-carts made out of wood and pram wheels, i haven't changed, just the wheels are bigger!

Offline twiggy

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 22:58:07 »
Can anyone tell me if you still need to do this driver cpc if you already have a national CPC? I have asked several people and no one seems to know the answer.

Neil

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 23:31:57 »
Matt, there are B+E instructors who advertise in Doncaster, trouble is that a lot (me included) did not take the test before April this year and can no longer instruct under the grandfather rights.

Most truck trainers will be able to help you out though.  However you will probably need to furnish the trailer and since 1998 it has to block your rear window, unless you use an older car.

It's not cheap or convenient which is probably why few instructors bother TBH.

As for driving HGV at 18, that's very odd becuase soon you won't be able to take your car test 'till you're 18 :-k  Had our gov't adopted the rule that you had to be a qualified instructor to accompany a learner I'd definitely be better off, i think they pick and choose the ones that let them take more of our money TBH.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Sider

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 16:28:10 »
Can anyone tell me if you still need to do this driver cpc if you already have a national CPC? I have asked several people and no one seems to know the answer.

Neil

AFAIK, they're completely unrelated (in the eyes of the MoT), so having the CPC still means getting the CPC driver. But don't quote me on it.
Nico

Nobody expects.....The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Offline Terranger

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 07:58:44 »
My Boss has the National CPC, as he is the nominal Transport Manager, but he HAS TO also complete this Driver's CPC.
1984 RRC PICK UP

Offline Sider

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 12:20:45 »
Thought so, but I can't seem to find the bit of the regs where it says so.

Terranger, what a lot of people don't realise is that the stalini..., sorry, progressive labour government, used the EU as a scapegoat for all the regulations they felt like introducing. Some of them originated in Brussels, true, what they don't tell you is that they were the instigators.

Until ratified by the individual member states, legislation passed in brussels does not supersede said state laws. The commun..., sorry, lapsus linguae, labour chose what legislation (or proposed legislation) went with their 5 year plan (sorry, I mean their detailed study of british economy and society), implemented it of their own accord, and then blamed the eurocrats. Result: they mould reality to their ideology without the political backlash.

Nico

Offline Terranger

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 19:21:00 »
Sider, I don't know the ins and outs of politics. Which is why I don't vote, but, correct me if I'm wrong, but, wasn't it the Tories who linked us up with the Europeans?

That aside, when I got so incensed with this ruling, I went to my local MP, who had an MEP write back to me, stating, basically, "Tough Luck, pal, that's the rules and you have to lump it!"

The thing I laughed at, was the Germans I met in Milan, while trucking, told us they're wanting to ban the tachograph altogether. Again, didn't they invent them??

1984 RRC PICK UP

Offline Sider

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 21:53:44 »
True, the tories got the UK in the EU, but the it was the other side that used it as an excuse for imposing their own agenda.

You don't vote because you don't want to, I don't vote because I am not entitled to. That doesn't stop me from having an opinion, as it shouldn't stop you from having one.

Even if you are wrong :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Nico

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 13:49:31 »
ok I dont agree to the driver cpc course but at least you cant fail it! I did my first 7 hours back in feb and I did actually learn some useful things. Nothing useful to driving like writing a health and safety risk assesment but useful in my voluntary work though!!

As I believe, instructors dont need to have a cpc but if that instructor then goes and does driving work not instructing they need the cpc. mad mad mad
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal