AuthorTopic: Defender 130 1997R Trip prepped  (Read 693 times)

Offline stanstorey

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Defender 130 1997R Trip prepped
« on: October 13, 2010, 09:27:49 »
Threatened to do this a while ago, but been making excuses that have now worn thin!!

I must now sell my 130 defender.

I bought purely as a vehicle to prep for a trip this year which due to various family things has not happened.
I will have another when the time is right, but the money is of more use right now

FIRSTLY - i am going to price it without the tents or awning or the fridge and any camping gear as it keeps things simple.
I would like to reuse these items in the future and i know how much they cost me and how much i'd have to spend to replace them!
They are negotiable with the land rover though to a serious buyer.

I spent months tidying and prepping it and there are still a few bits to sort out for a long journey abroad, but it's ready to use as is and has been used on various trips to wales etc over the summer.

Info:-

Defender 130
1997R
300TDI - don't seem to see many 300TDI 130s come up for sale...
High miles at 204k but engine still very sweet and has obviously been well serviced.
Will have 12months MOT on sale (doing it this week as just expired)
Dry stored throughout my ownership for the last year.
New CAT2 immobiliser (insurance said no without it)
Taxed until end of feb i think (will check when next go up to where it is stored tomorrow)
Previous owner sprayed it JCB yellow (was grey) and although it's not a fantastic job it's holding up well and is easy to touch up (have fair bit of paint left)
Body has a selection of dents and marks and the doors have the usual bit of grot at the bottom.
Bulkhead nice and solid, has had a repair at some point but looks pretty tidy job.
Chassis is spot on, not been welded and i treated it earlier in the year.
PTO driven Superwinch on winch bumper.
Twin roof racks
Land rover mudflaps
Tow bar and electrics
Freshly trimmed front seats in techno cloth (new foams too)
two seat rear bench, single seat currently removed for the fridge, but supplied in sale
Lockable steel cubby box
Mud stuff dash and switch pod (lots of extra carling switches for extra gear)
Split charge system with twin batteries
CB radio (needs aerial screwing in but all wiring is there)
CD player will stay with me (though i may have a Lidls special lurking about to fill the gap)
6.5" speakers in the dash and 4" in the rear lining.
Map pockets in various places
12v sockets etc

Erberspacer diesel heater that i've never got around to fixing (needs a new fuel pump - have old one, size of a cotton reel)
- it blows from the switch on the dash, just needs sorting for the winter.

Rear box:-
Fibreglass box body on back with secure doors and new van lock, fresh hinges and fixings allround.
Chequer plate floored
Freshly ply-lined.
Cargo rails and tie down rings for lashing things down.
Tool holders
LED strip light
4 military boxes bolted to sides and floor for strorage (fits "really useful boxes" perfectly - not included)
Spare wheel in back and room for another.
70l Fiamma water tank with inlet on outside - powerful 12v pump feeding an outlet in the front cab (waterproof switch on outside) high enough pressure to wash a car easily.
Room for 4 jerry cans, tool box, Braai, camping chairs, kitchen stuff and anything else you can think of!
LED side and rear markers
Rear reversing lights - also hooked up to a new reversing camera (screen where mirror should be)
New NAS lights at the rear.
Clip on, fold down work surface/table for the side

New standard lights at the front (not a fan of NAS on the front)
New TD5 light surrounds
New grill
New number plates
Chequerplate on bonnet and wings (very useful for roof clambering)
Light bar with 4 spots
New rear step

Wolf wheels with easy to source 235 85 16 General Grabber TRs (looks much cooler on 285 75 16 but not really trip friendly size)
New 130 Rock sliders with tree bars (or whatever they are called!) make a great step to reach roof.

Recently had all the fluids changed and brakes bled with fresh fluid etc. recent new rear pads.
Cambelt was done by previous owner at 194k, but i'd do it again before taking it on a long trip anyway for peace of mind.
The only bad bits are the transmission is a bit slack and has the take up shunt if you're abrupt with the changes, i was planning to put a recon transfer box in and renew the UJs before setting off.
But it does drive fine and doesn't whine, vibrate etc, just slack.
Could do with a set of discs on the front at some point in the near future.
Suspension is stock 130 stuff (rear helper springs etc), which although ok i'd be inclined to put some heavy duty aftermarket stuff on before doing a long trip.
Cruises fully loaded at 65-70mph no problem and is suprisingly sprightly for a big old barge.
Also dead easy to drive as the extra wheelbase means it tracks nicely.

There is probably lots of little bits i've forgotten...like the high lift jack mounts on the roof between the tents and the individually switched side spot lights on both sides of the roof rack! :doh2
Price wise it owes me lots that i don't expect to get back and labour wise i hate to think
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 18:18:59 by stanstorey »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal