AuthorTopic: twin intercooler  (Read 1342 times)

Offline mikiep1986

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
twin intercooler
« on: October 12, 2010, 13:32:00 »
was just wondering if anyone has done a set up like this or if its doable . . . .  :-k

well what i was going to do was run the original set up as a 200tdi has, rad and intercooler up front , but then also run a saab 93 intercooler ontop of the engine with y peice connectors spuring off the original pipes , well what i was thinking the air flow wouldnt be effected as its just sucking the air into the engine . just means there will be alot more cooler air going in  :roll: also will put a vent into the bonnet to let the air into the top intercooler  ;)

also i was going to run this set up so if off roading and front intercooler gets blocked with mud i then still got the top intercooler working fine ? :-k

any advice would be greatly appriciated

cheers mike
200tdi disco aka "bertie" ;)

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
Re: twin intercooler
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 16:41:06 »
Allard do a intercooler designed to be used in a auto 300 with air con. It fits between the chassis rails under the radiator behind the front bumper / valance after the original intercooler so it is possible.

PHASE 2:Discovery - Defender - Range Rover 200 and 300 TDI.
(Vehicles fitted with air conditioning)
With air conditioned vehicles we have developed a two-stage intercooler system, as this allows us to leave the air conditioning unmodified and makes the installation more straightforward. We retain the original intercooler and link the new first stage intercooler into it, with aluminium pipework and silicone hoses. The new cooler is mounted below the radiator. Power and torque figures are close to those of the normal Phase 2 system.
(KIT 385.00 + VAT)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 16:44:58 by karlo »

Offline mikiep1986

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 18:16:19 »
 cheers dude ill have a look into that and see how its plumbed in . .

by the discription its saying it runs into one then into the 2nd intercooler . . so just wondering if running both intercoolers together wont work . . and ill have to plumb them in seqeunce ?? :-k hmmmmm

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:58:38 »
having had subaru's front mounted intercoolers are way more effective than top mount as you get better air flow and given heat rises top mounting is also thermally inefficient.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline mikiep1986

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 14:56:32 »
yea i know the main reason i gota mount it ontop the engine , theres no room to mount it up front  :'( i would love to have it up front infront of the rad . but ill have to think and find a way around it  :-k

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal