Vehicle & Technical > Discovery

Replacing Disco 1 driver's door hinges

<< < (4/5) > >>

Disco Matt:
I didn't get as far as completely removing the door, so I didn't find all the electrical connections. The mechanical side is simple though - there's a pin holding the check strap which should tap out from below, then the circlip on each hinge.

I found that a folded Workmate with its legs deployed and a couple of blocks of wood on top made a perfect support to rest the door on while removing the trim and fishing the supposed-to-be-captive nut (more like a lump of metal with three threaded holes in) out of the door. In the end I only replaced the upper hinge, as by this stage my fingers felt like they'd had a fight with a threshing machine and I was getting fed up.

It still isn't quite right but I think I'll have to live with it. The door closes and latches perfectly, it's just a little bit misaligned with the neighbouring panels. If I re-insert the shim I'll have the old problem again of the upper door frame hitting the B pillar. If it gives more aggro it'll be a job for someone with more patience and experience in coachbuilding than me - I can do electrics, simple component replacement and painting, aligning big heavy lumps of metal is not one of my skills!

Range Rover Blues:
To do the bottom of ther A post you might be better off removing the sill trim as it is a fire hazard.  With it removed you can repair about 6 inches of A post with the door open and the bottom of the wing released, you don't need to completely remove the wing.

Saffy:

--- Quote from: Range Rover Blues on September 24, 2010, 23:04:30 ---To do the bottom of ther A post you might be better off removing the sill trim as it is a fire hazard.  With it removed you can repair about 6 inches of A post with the door open and the bottom of the wing released, you don't need to completely remove the wing.

--- End quote ---
:kiss:  did it this morning - just the other end of that sill to repair now. Didn't need to release the wing as the corrosion didn't extend far that way. Have ordered new plastic pegs to replace the sill trim - can't believe price on them! Door came off easy enough though was a bit reluctant to lift off the pegs without some wiggling. With plastic trim in foot well wall removed the 3 electrical multi plugs where easily unclipped and loom removed through the portals. cheers

Disco Matt:
Had my sills sorted out a couple of years ago. The bloke doing it chopped out anything that looked remotely rotten (there were only a couple of holes after my exploratory prodding with a screwdriver) and welded 4mm thick steel box section in. With those and the tree sliders I think I have side impact protection!  :lol:

The door's still a bit low but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. I have fixed the immediate problem though so I'm not overly worried.

Saffy:
think ill do the box section thing  next time around. Car needs to be kept on road for Mrs to drive to work (else she'll have to use my defender  [-X [-o< ) and disco's MOT is just around corner so repair patch where needed will do for now. Will be doing all four discs and pads this weekend and that'll hopefully see it good for awhile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version