Vehicle & Technical > Discovery

Replacing Disco 1 driver's door hinges

<< < (3/5) > >>

Range Rover Blues:
I don't think the hinges are meant to adjust by loosening and sliding them, I think they adjsut by adding shims.  You move the panels out by shimming the A post and adjust the door gaps by shimming the door.

The door striker post does slide up & down/in & out.

Disco Matt:
Hmm, see, the holes are much bigger than the bolts and there's a fair bit of play before you tighten them up. I'd see that as allowing you to adjust the fit slightly and lift the door. At present it closes properly but the gap between the wing and door is noticeably smaller than that between the back of the front door and the front of the rear door.

It definitely isn't rust anyway, the doors seem sound inside and out as does the A pillar.

Range Rover Blues:
Maybe they do then :-k  Are the holes slotted?

Anyway, for the gap front and rear it you need to add the shims to both top and bottom hinges or remove them from the back door hinge.

Disco Matt:
They're circular but they're bigger than the bolts - I'd guess by about 2mm or so. My plan is to sort the wing out first and then match the door to that and the back door. I'm not expecting half millimetre perfection but it'd be nice if it looked about even!

Thing is, if I take the shims out of the back door I'll just end up with a huge gap between that and the rear quarter panel as I'll have chased the gap all the way along.

Saffy:
hijacking the thread for the moment....  the drain hole on drivers front door pillar (is that called the A post?) on our disco has enlarged from rust and I will be plating that and other bits and bobs this weekend. To get at it I think I need to get the door off. Interest to read above about clips on hinges... so are the front doors quick and easy to remove? its a series 1

edit: no worries - found the entry in the manual

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version