AuthorTopic: no clutch  (Read 2796 times)

Offline mikiep1986

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
no clutch
« on: August 13, 2010, 21:28:12 »
 well after fitting a new gearbox and clutch went to bleed the clutch and its not pumping any fluid out at pressure , now the truck has be sat with no fluid in for 6 months , bled the brakes and all is fine and they work , but the clutch still wont bleed  :-k

is it a case that the master or slave cylinder maybe gone . or is there something else to do other than undo the nipple ??
 [-o<
 cheers mike
200tdi disco aka "bertie" ;)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: no clutch
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 02:01:39 »
Seal could be stuck somehow, could be aa PITA like most clutches.  Try bleeding it from the master cylinder union.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Dr Neil

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:00:50 »
the bleed nipple itself could be blocked?? try removing it completely and see if it will bleed then...
200tdi over 200kmiles
+2"lift.
Procomp Es9000 shocks
235 MT's on silver modulars
diff guards
tank guard
Paidia4x4 winch bumper.
Discoparts HD rear bumper.
Champion 10000N winch
CB and CDplayer
Safari snorkel
modified turbo actuator vac pipe pick up.
twin batteries with Paidia4x4 split charge system
roof lightbar

Offline mikiep1986

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 12:24:46 »
cheers guys ill try those methods and see what happens  [-o<

Offline v8dakar

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 14:47:08 »
iv had this a few times after fitting a  clutch when i have needed to remover the slave cylinder pipe work
i would recomend you get your self a easy bleed kit,works a treat,you can try for ever pumping the clutch pedal
some times it just wont bleed out,and the easy blead kit has work every time and only needs one person to operate it as long as there is not a underlying problem
with the cylinders
jim

Offline mikiep1986

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 17:23:56 »
cheers jim

well got a new master cylinder all fitted , and with some help from my brother after alot of pumping and turning of the bleed nipple  :roll: , finally got fluid through and all bubbles out . .

the clutch pedal is now stiff as it was before with that little bit of play at the top (same as before) , well the clutch still doesnt work - started it up and tryed to put it in gear but it wont let the gear select just stops as if the gate before it slots into gear holds it ,  :-k

also its a brand new clutch , fork , and bearing  :?

could this be the slave cylinder not pushing the rod out to push the fork in ??  :-k

any help would be great as its starting to annoy me now and im guna just end up beating it with a VERY big hammer

cheers mike

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 00:19:43 »
Didi this brand new clutch ever work? can you rule it out as faulty or inoperational.  Has the clutch plate stuck to the flywheel?

if the later then run the engine to get it hot, stop it and engage 3rd gear.  Press the pedal and fire it up.  It can break the clutch free
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline mikiep1986

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 12:07:32 »
 didnt know if the clutch ever worked , this is the first time ive tryed it after putting it in  :-k ,

cheers for the way to break the clutch free . ill try that and see what happens ,

would it be worth changing the slave cylinder just incase  :-k

Offline fuzzy

Attack Member
  • my lovely s3 military, Percy
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 13:56:43 »
Nearly always worth replacing clutch hydraulics as a complete set i.e; master and slave cylinders at the same time, this is due to the fact that usually they wear out at a fairly equal rate, by adding a new master cylinder to a worn slave it is probable that the greater fluid pressure exerted by the new master has blown the seals in the slave.
1980 s111 109 ex military 12v gs soft top- waiting to have life breathed back into it.
1990 110 2.5td, waiting for crew cab conversion, mud tyres, suspension and 2"lift.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 20:25:10 »
Slave cylinders are peanuts in comparison so perhaps worth doing now,

Offline mikiep1986

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 20:07:39 »
yea may aswell at least then i know its new and guna last . but might have to wait a couple of weeks as money is tight  :'( will update and let u all know what happens

thanx for the help  :clap:

Offline mikiep1986

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 14:24:58 »
rite update . . . .

got a new slave cylinder got it all fitted and bled , after a while . WELLLLLLL . . now had to force the gearstick into the gear gates with a bit of a thrust, but after that it selected gears ok , but once the truck rolled back had to then force it into gear . . .

then i selected 3rd gear clutch depressed and started the engine , it moved forward a lil but then it stopped and ran ? , went to pull the clutch up lifted it about 1 cm and the clutch was fully engaged and truck moved forward , but then i depressed the clutch but it wouldnt come out of gear . if i turned the engine off it would come out of gear . . .

i now have no idea what it could be unless the gearbox aint working or clutch is faulty ?????

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP , i dont really wana take the gearbox out again  :?

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 12:55:54 »
No expert but.... have you considered that your looking in the wrong place..?

After all... the clutch is connected to the engine on one side... the gearbox on the other... could it be a gearbox problem..? i.e. bent selector forks. Had this on my 3.9 RRC some years ago when I was a nieve no knowledge non mud club member!

Wasn't paying attention at the lights and got bipped at... rushed trying to put it in first... didn't want to go... forced it... TWANG! Meant a gearbox rebuild.

Hope it's not but sounds like things are beyond the normal clutch fault sysmptoms.

Kindest

Skibum

Offline mikiep1986

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 16:50:21 »
when i bought the gearbox i checked it all the gears selected easy and they did . no catching or grinding , might i have done something wrong ?

im guna take the box back out and check everything see what i can find . only thing i can think of doing now  :(

Offline fuzzy

Attack Member
  • my lovely s3 military, Percy
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 18:24:02 »
it sounds like the clutch isn't quite bled yet..........the symptoms you describe seem to suggest that the clutch isn'tfully disengaging hence the fact that it is difficult to select gears etc, try pumping the clutch up then holding it down while getting an assistant to release the bleed nipple this should after a couple of goes sort out the clutch, other than that could be that your clutch fork is knackered........its certainly worth trying to bleed it again before removing the box as it is almost certainly a problem with the clutch.    [-o<
1980 s111 109 ex military 12v gs soft top- waiting to have life breathed back into it.
1990 110 2.5td, waiting for crew cab conversion, mud tyres, suspension and 2"lift.

Offline BeJay

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 10:58:02 »

then i selected 3rd gear clutch depressed and started the engine , it moved forward a lil but then it stopped and ran ? , went to pull the clutch up lifted it about 1 cm and the clutch was fully engaged and truck moved forward , but then i depressed the clutch but it wouldnt come out of gear . if i turned the engine off it would come out of gear . . .

as said above, this comment almost certainly points to a clutch problem, (not fully disengaging) either not bled properly, or a clutch fork or release bearing problem, are you sure you're keeping the master cylinder topped up throughout the bleeding process, 'cos if you ain't and are allowing the fluid level to drop too far while bleeding out and then topping up the level you will just be putting more air in the system, sorry if this sounds like teaching my granny to suck eggs but it doesn't sound as if you're too sure what you're doing, and it's gotta be worth checking out before taking the box out again (if it's clutch fork or release bearing) hope this is of some help, cheers, Jack.

nil illigitimus carborundum

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal