AuthorTopic: Black smoke under load / small oil leak UPDATED!  (Read 6014 times)

Offline carbore

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Black smoke under load / small oil leak UPDATED!
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:16:33 »
Help!

My freelander (Late Freelander 1 TD4 ES Auto (BMW Engine I beleive) ) has started to produce black smoke under engine load, there is also signs of oil escape from the area of dipstick, air intake ont he left hand side, but inconclusive as its a fine layer all round.

Its well over due a service (Idiot!) and compunded by the fact that is currently 200miles from home at may dads house (double, extra idiot!)

Are there any obvious ERG type things to look at, should I risk drivign it back wihout attention, it revs nicely, no noise, collant temp/colour is fine and its got no lights on the dash. (Spare oil to hand)

Any ideas welcome
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 13:39:17 by carbore »
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
  • Who Said I can't go there?????
    • Near the next village in Hertfordshire
Re: Black smoke under load / small oil leak URGENT
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 15:14:06 »
Hi carbore
Might help my car 1998 Rover engine Freelander

Similar thing to mine apart from the no lights couldn't say about oil as mine is covered in it so if there was an oil leak would not see it (Didn't do filter up tight enought last service luckly notice it as we started engine to make sure light went out and looked under neath to see all the oil on the floor) EGR my car started to run lumpy and hunting, and i noticed light blueish smoke as i went down the road, so we first thought Tubo so wechecked all the pipes to and from the Turbo, Signs of oil in them the Pipe that comes from the EGR  to the front of car built up the restriction was to almost biro pen diameter.

Cleaned all the gunk carbon muck out and cleaned all the air intake pipes from air filter to Turbo and any we could find with a rag,  the amount of muck filled the bottom of a standard mug quarter the way up the mug.  We put Diesel Redex in the Tank and some I think its call stop smoking or no smoking. in with the Oil and the car is back to normal

So gonna get a blanking kit or just keep an eye on it
Hope it gives an any help

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 00:18:26 »
have a look at the air filter, it might be blocked if it's ready for a service.  might also have collected some engine oil vapour (not sure how it is plumbed in) buy again if that is blocked it might now be venting oil vapour by the easiest route.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:40:00 »
Thanks, id suspected soemthgn like that. I had my dad get a local mechanic look at (as im now in london, car in cheltenham) and he thinks the same. It drivign home tonight.

Hope fuly ill be back in Cornwall tomorrow and on the phone to my local garrage

Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:29:27 »
The AA had a look at it and it was a split in the turbo hose. A screw underneath was rubbing which cased it to fail. Still lots of smoke, but Mr AA told the wife that varios bits were full of oil/desiel but at least its now home in cornwall on the drive so I have low cost options for fixing it!

Offline carbore

Attack Member
Re: Black smoke under load / small oil leak UPDATED!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 13:42:27 »
Latest news.

Its at the local garage and everything is clogged with soot and yuck. Bad news is the filters have been replaced but the dash light is saying its an iffy Turbo (No doubt well clogged too). its a pig to remove the turbo (book says 5 hours) so Very debatable if its worth removing and cleaning or just replacing wiht a recon unit. If cleaning wont do it then the labour cost to do it all again for a recon unit  means its a risky option.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal