AuthorTopic: 12 and 240v Camping Fridges  (Read 2060 times)

Offline burgerman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
12 and 240v Camping Fridges
« on: July 21, 2010, 22:33:58 »
 Hi all,

Looking for a portable fridge to take on a UK 2-3 day camping (and off roading  ;) ) trip.
Only two of us in the car but need to consider space/size (as wife takes toooo many clothes). Also needs to hold 2ltr bottle of Diet Coke... again to keep swmbo happy!

Think I've got it down to these two unless you have any further suggestions under
TD5 with a few Tweaks ;o)
a bit more fuel friendly than the V8

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: 12 and 240v Camping Fridges
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 22:44:08 »
They are both coolboxs, not fridges.  Neither will be able to chill anyting that isn't already cold and will struggle to keep it cold.  If the engine isn't running yo've no chance.

You'll find that caravan fridges are mains/gas/12volt but on 12 volt will no cool unless they have been run on gas or mains first and even then they pull 8 amps out of the towcar, modern ones use so much current thye need their own earth pin in the multiplug (rated at 16 amps).
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 05:20:56 »
My parents insist on buying those absorption "fridge" for camping - don't think they have got 6 months out of even one with
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:28:19 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:25:09 »
I bought a mains/12v coolbox from Aldi a couple of months ago, seems ok. I pre-chill it on the mains overnight then it should cope with being fed from my second battery during the day. For
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:56:45 »
I have a Halfords one that i brought a couple of years back. It does the job when camping (has frozen milk over night) not as good as a proper 3 way fridge, but it takes up less room then our 3 way, and runs OK  from the cigy socket. As has been said, worth running on the mains overnight first to get it cool to start. I have also added lighter sockets to the boot of the disco now, form a second battery, so that it will allways be on.

Andy
1978 Series III 88"

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 09:41:46 »
The 'coolers' like those tend work on an X degrees below ambient rather than a set temperature like a fridge. So they can struggle when it gets very warm. The one I had (a CampingGaz one IIRC) also had a voltage cut out of 11 volts. A complete pain when I wanted it to run off a second battery when the engine wasn't charging it. They also use a lot more power than a fridge, so they can get the battery voltage down to 11 volts remarkably quickly!

IMHO, they are OK for the odd day or two when it isn't two warm and when the engine is charging the battery for long periods. But if you want proper cooling over longer periods, you should look at a proper fridge like Engel.

I now run a fridge off a yellow top second battery. It can last for several days without having to recharge the battery. And it can freeze if I need it to.

As others have suggested. It's all down to what you need. No point in spending a fortune for a limited use.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline kevinf

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:30:35 »
get a 40 ltr engel for camping trips,then use it as a counter top freezer at home for the rest of the time it will pay for its self very quickly

had one for over two years now used it last summer in France and Spain,running off a cheap 85amp leasure battery/split charge system no problems at all when parked up for two days and living out of the fridge,struggled when parked up for five days with the occasional visit for cold drinks,fruit and chocolate (why pay hotel/theme park prices when the cars full of the stuff!!!)

kevin
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal