AuthorTopic: V8 4.2 IN TO RANGIE 200 TDI  (Read 1778 times)

Offline ratman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
V8 4.2 IN TO RANGIE 200 TDI
« on: July 11, 2010, 23:09:42 »
Hi Guy's

just about to convert a 200 TDI Manual to a V8 4.2 Auto what problem could I have ?

any help would be appeciated
4 Rangies, All V8's, the good, the bad and the down right ugly.
Oh and the wifes

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: V8 4.2 IN TO RANGIE 200 TDI
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:12:48 »
No, way too difficult, lots of problems, don't do it.  You should sell the engine or better still I'll get rid of it for you ;)

I'll tell you what I'm aware of, the car is a bit of a mechano kit so as long as you have all the bits it can be done.

The pedal box bolts into the cab, so you can change that easily enough.

The rad is bigger, you need a good one for the 4.2 and the auto uses if for oil cooling as well as the hairy sausage behind the grille, the RH end of the rad cools the engine oil.

The wiring loom for the engine connects to the main loom in the driver's footwell with 2 plugs, one white one blue, if you have all the brackets for the ECU and you can find the plugs in your car then it plugs in.

You'll need the petrol tank and pipes, not only is there a pump in the EFi tank but petrol requires a flourinated tank that might not be fitted to the TDi.

Things like the glow plug wiring might just unplug, but you need to check.

The auto box sits further back on the V8, you'll need different propshafts and gearbox crossmember.  The 3.9 and 4.2 exhausts are routed below the crossmember which is tubular, the 3.5 had a square one with the exhaust above it but the exhaust is smaller.

The 200 series airbox is different, not a mojor problem, the header tank is the same.

The engine mounts I 'm not sure of on the 200 but are different on the 300 to a V8, that might be one of your big problems as it will involved welding to the chassis, not sure how you stand with the DVLA these days :roll:

There's bound to be other things that someone else will hopefully think of :-k
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:16:41 by Range Rover Blues »
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline ratman

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 23:07:35 »
ok already made a start the rad, oil coolers, wiring loom for EFI and gear box already out the donor car.

from the measurement i've taken the transferbox mountings are in the same place but engine mounts aren't so will take the V8 ones of and replace the Tdi one's

got a sports system with four brach manifolds so will make that fit

best place to get a rollcage ?
4 Rangies, All V8's, the good, the bad and the down right ugly.
Oh and the wifes

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:17:40 »
best place to get a rollcage ?

P&P Cages
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal