AuthorTopic: Steel Rope to Synthetic Rope - Winch Questions  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Landroverstormer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Steel Rope to Synthetic Rope - Winch Questions
« on: May 04, 2010, 14:53:58 »
I would like to change my steel rope for synthetic rope as I like the idea of it being safer.  Apart from renewing the fairlead for one which is snag free and new, is there any other modifications that I need to carry out?

I hope that it will be a case of unspooling the cable and unbolting from the drum; then (fingers crossed) the synthetic rope also has an 'end' which you then bolt on to the drum and then spool back on?

If anyone who has done this could give me an idea as to whether it is that simple or if I'm being a little optimistic?

James
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 18:34:45 by Landroverstormer »
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE - 2010
Defender 90 300 TDi Soft-Top - 1996
Mini Cooper Convertible - 2009
Volkswagen 181 Trekker (Thing/Kubelwagon) 1972

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Winch Cable / Rope Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 14:58:33 »
I got my winch with plasma so I didn't do it myself but it is relatively easy.  There is no "stretching in" with plasma rope like with steel, and no recoil so I guess that the toughest part will be removing the old cable safely!

You can splice the rope easily, you fit it intot he locknut then spool it up.  Obvioulsy you can't tap it into nice tidy coils like you do with a new steel rope, just guide it on and try to avoid a bird's nest, plasma can get flattened if you are careless.

That's abaout it, try not to let it get twisted, keep it out of the sun and wash it when dirty.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 17:30:03 »
Winch rope / winch cable are meaningless terms as its still valid to suffix steel with rope/line/cable. It's just synthetic vs steel winch line/rope/cable etc.

Order a length of protector sleeve (aka rockguard etc)at the same time which slides over the rope. Also seriously think about fitting a drum cover to protect the rope from UV damage. If have snatch blocks that's been used with steel then they will need replacing with new and don't lend them out to steel users.

My line is attach to drum though a hole and two grubscrews, the end of rope is prepared by tapering and wrapping with tape. On the goodwinch video other winch types need an electrical type crimp terminal on the end on the rope and that attached to drum. I think they taper the rope, fit into the terminal and secure it with wire and then tape it.

I'd like to hear from the winch challenge guys on here if they spool on synthetic in a particular way. Synthetic tends to pull into the lower layer when under load if wound neatly like steel and I read in past on USA forums those that spool in a criss-cross manner to stop that. I just spool it as tight and neatly as possible, though it does pull into the lower layer a bit - I'd never get all the rope on drum criss-crossing :-k
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 17:53:22 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Landroverstormer

Attack Member
Re: Steel Rope to Synthetic Rope - Winch Questions
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 18:41:23 »
Thanks guys. Have modified my wording to reflect the prefixing! Sounds like I'll have to wait and see what the rope comes with regarding attaching to the drum. The chap next door ties knots for a living, therefore I'll see if he can advise.

Didn't occour to me about the snatch block as I'd only really been considering the fairlead tbh. I've got a cover but will probably invest in the protector sleve mentioned.

I wasn't expecting the removal to be an issue. I thought that I could spool out manually coil back to the bumper and undo whilst not under any sort of load. I'd probably tape as much as possible up to avoid scratching the bumper.

Thanks again, and any further comments are welcome.
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE - 2010
Defender 90 300 TDi Soft-Top - 1996
Mini Cooper Convertible - 2009
Volkswagen 181 Trekker (Thing/Kubelwagon) 1972

Offline burgerman

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 18:56:24 »
 All i do on our 3 winches is wind it on under load,( i usually pull another 90 along with it maybe with the brake on a tiny bit) its wound on equal side to side, i simply tape up the end of the rope to stop it fraying, tie a simple knot in it to stop it coming through the hole again ( on a 8274)

Not sure if this is "correct" but works ok for us
TD5 with a few Tweaks ;o)
a bit more fuel friendly than the V8

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 20:28:16 »
Thanks again, and any further comments are welcome.

check out the goodwinch dyneema promo video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rGcnn_CJiE
.. at about  3.00min into the video you will see what I mean about the end termination types. Superwinch defo the easier method :lol:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 20:30:07 by Saffy »

Offline J.D.

Attack Member
  • ...Pure as Belfast snow...
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 23:33:04 »
Mine is connected with a cable crimp BUT. I have used a small length of plasma rope, spliced together to form an endless loop to secure the last 5 winds of cable onto the drum. It is choked around the last two, then choked onto the 5th wind, this prevents all the rope being dragged off the drum.

J.D.
- - - -
'ASBO' - Blue Land Rover Recovery Discovery 200TDiS - LR GRAVEYARD OCCUPANT (RIP).
'Green Giant' - Scammel Crusader - WEEKEND WORK!
'Helga' - 2.0T Volvo V40 - BORING!
'Pheonix' - 1995 3.9 V8 Discovery soon to be converted to TDi. - FINISHED!

www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk
www.berkshire4x4response.co.uk

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 00:26:28 »
I'd like to hear from the winch challenge guys on here if they spool on synthetic in a particular way. Synthetic tends to pull into the lower layer when under load if wound neatly like steel and I read in past on USA forums those that spool in a criss-cross manner to stop that.

Yeap, I've had the same.  I try to use it payed out round a pulley rather than let it bunch up on the drum.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Mark Y

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 22:28:43 »
It doesn't matter how you connect to the drum, warn winch has a tiny grub scew, it isn't that which holds it on the drum, it is the first 3-6 wraps around the drum which capston it on which hold it, as with steel put the first 6 wraps on under tension and don't winch out past that and you will be fine, I have held them on with slip knots on the drum before, so long as the rest is capstoned onto the drum.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
I can see clearly now, the brain has gone

Discovery 3
Defender 90
Series2a

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 22:39:41 »
With the above in mind I have a wee tag positioned on the line to tell me that there is only a few turns left on the drum. The tag is positioned along the line so that when sitting in driver seat I get a visual indication when to stop paying out (my winch is operated primarily from driver seat)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal