AuthorTopic: HELP Is it my Clutch OR gearbox  (Read 15539 times)

Offline disco2 td5

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: HELP Is it my Clutch OR gearbox
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 21:39:42 »
What does the gearbox oil smell like n what colour is it and what is the viscosity like
 if it's smells like cat pee then it's diff oil which is wrong
in the r380 it should be auto box oil which is red

Offline brianb

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 09:04:07 »
dont know its colour but brother reackons it was like water :huh:
2000 Landrover Discovery 2 td5 (green)

Life should  NOT  be a journey to the grave with the intention of  arriving  safely in an attractive and well preserved  body, but rather  to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one  hand - chocolate in  the other -
body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and  
screaming 'WOO  HOO, What a  Ride

Offline john656

Attack Member
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 18:13:28 »
Is the thrust bearing the same depth?
Have you tried pumping the pedal like a loon?
Master cylinder?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 18:15:02 by john656 »
My wife can't wrestle but you should see her box.

Offline brianb

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 19:07:47 »
Thrust bearing the same as is the flywheel, pressure plate and friction plate.  Measured the new ones against the old befor we fitted them and they were all exactly the same size......well apart from the schredded plate that was hard to measure  :)

Pumped the peddle like a loon(neighbours must of thought i was up to something) and since i replaced the slace cylinder the pedal feels as it should, just not fully operating the clutch.  Not looked at Master cylinder simply cos they were fine before the little shredding incedent  :oops:

I was thinking of replacing it as they arn't that much just to rule it out, Otherwise if its not that im going to have to take the gearbox off AGAIN!!!!!!! to check that ive not done something stupid and i just dont think i can face it

Life should  NOT  be a journey to the grave with the intention of  arriving  safely in an attractive and well preserved  body, but rather  to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one  hand - chocolate in  the other -

Offline john656

Attack Member
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 20:05:26 »
Without meaning to insult you... has the bell housing mated up all the way around?
My wife can't wrestle but you should see her box.

Offline Dr Neil

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2010, 20:11:48 »
you say you have replaced the clutch slave cylinder, how about the clutch master cylinder??
200tdi over 200kmiles
+2"lift.
Procomp Es9000 shocks
235 MT's on silver modulars
diff guards
tank guard
Paidia4x4 winch bumper.
Discoparts HD rear bumper.
Champion 10000N winch
CB and CDplayer
Safari snorkel
modified turbo actuator vac pipe pick up.
twin batteries with Paidia4x4 split charge system
roof lightbar

Offline craig_midz

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2010, 20:35:35 »
you have the slave cylinder the right way up with the bleed nipple at the top id try takin it to a garage with a pressure bleeder an the connectin rod inside the slave isnt bent is it an if its a new one its seated on the clutch fork properley

Offline brianb

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2010, 20:42:46 »
Bell housing all mated up, in fact it took us ages to get the gearbox back in and the bell houseing togeather as the waterpipe bracket at the top of engine had dropped down and got in the way, took us a while to spot it lol

Not changed the master cylinder as it was ok prior to the problem, We are going to change it as a list ditch hope before taking the gearbox off to see what is wrong.

We used this 5 peice kit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-DEFENDER-TD5-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL-KITAP-/330376779258?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cebfd95fa

Anyone else used them, Any problems with the quality.

Someone suggested that it could be a mismatched clutch set with the wrong size bits??

Brian

Offline brianb

Attack Member
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 10:36:18 »
Well got microcat to work and it looks like that peice of mangled/melted plastic that i mentioned earlier was a pushrod clip landrover part number 576723 @ cost of £2.30 +vat So just ordered one. Also got a new pushrod while i was at it as the one thats in now is i bit worn on the ball end so may as well do it at the same time.

Its obvious what that little peice of mangled plastic was now ive seen a picture of it

Looks like this clip holds the pushrod in place and stops it sliding out of position and in doing so ensures that the cluch is pushed full in when operated SOOoooooo this could be my problem.....i hope.

Its obvious waht that little peice of mangled plastic was now ive seen a picture of it.

Well let you know what happens once the clip is delivered and fitted.
Brian

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2010, 20:14:36 »
One way i believe is to use long studs made from threaded  bar and slide the box back about 4-5 inches and not actually removing it completely from the vehicle, you'd have to rotate the flywheel using the crank pully bolt at the front of the engine to get at all the bolts.......not tried it myself though

That's the way I did my 200Tdi clutch - no ramps required, just used a small trolley jack under the transfer box,
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

Offline brianb

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 22:43:17 »
For anyone who has been following this misery story
I finally got round to fitting the replacement clutch and IT WORKS!!!!!!!!
Shame the first clutch was faulty but thats life i suppose.
Whilst I was at it I fitted an Ashcroft Central Diff Lock lever .  Doddle to do, shame about the cost.  Can't wait to get to Pea Farm this weekend to try out the clutch AND difflock, Should be almost unstoppable or at least it will be when i make my mind up on which tyres i want

Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal