AuthorTopic: Losing power on LPG  (Read 15054 times)

Offline hairyasswelder

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Losing power on LPG
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 21:10:44 »
OK, thanks. I understand what it does now!

If I buy a new vaporiser, do I need a certain one, or will any 'off the shelf' one do?  Where can I get one from?

Thanks.

size is defined by BHP, but one that is a straight forward swap would be best, try tinleytech (google it) for parts
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Rossko

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 13:07:02 »
Vaporisers are vastly different between singlepoint and multipoint systems, so you need to know what sort you have to start with.

Multipoint vaporisers are high pressure and not all are the same pressure, so you'd need to find out operating pressure as well as bhp to check equivalance. Multipoint vaps often have a temperature sensor which may or may not be compatible.

Singlepoint vaps are functionally pretty much freely interchangeable within the bhp capability, except that the plumbing may not line up; adaptors, hose changes, pipe extensions etc. may be needed to fit.

As already mentioned, some have a built in shutoff solenoid.  If you replace with a different brand, you may need to add an external shutoff as well.

Replacing with same brand/model is usually going to be much easier.

Whatever you do, it WILL need setting up properly afterwards, do not expect to part-swap and drive away.
GLASS

Offline dod51e

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 22:11:16 »
Having read the thread, and albeit a bit late now, i was going to suggest your problem was a failing solenoid.  This will limit the amount of gas that can get through to the vapouriser.  No matter how much you tweak the vapouriser or power valve it will struggle to get the revs you would expect.  Ask me how I know......I had exactly the same problem.  All the usual answers...new filters, new plugs, leads and timing checked, retuned the vapouriser...round and round in little circles until one day the rev problem became erratic.  Fiddling under the bonnet it dawned on me that the only things that I was not advised to check was the soliniods.  Having jumped the power supply whilst feeling the solenoids I found one with a lesser 'click' than the other.  Swapped and hey-pressto.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal