AuthorTopic: 300 TDI (Discovery) into a 200 TDI Defender. Any advice??????? All welcome.  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Sarge

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Hi all,

I've managed to kill my 200 TDI so have got myself a 300 TDI & G/Box out of a Discovery. I'd like to fit this into my 90 & put radiators & bits & bobs in the back to stop them getting full of mud. Also with the rad/coolers etc in the back i thought it would leave lots of room to fit a winch internally so i don't have it sticking out too far at the front.

Any advice will be gratefully received and much appreciated.

Dave
Heeeeeeelllllllllllllllllp........

Offline biggerlandy

Attack Member
hi i have fitted this into mine and its a good set up. i used the disco box and kepped the disco gearstick just cut my seat box back a bit and made a new gearbox tunnel, then cut away your origanal engine mounts that are welded to your chassis and use the disco ones. you will have to ct out disco ones from disco chassis and weld them into your chassis. thats it for mounting then just wire it all up
just get muddy

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
leave your lt77 box in and fit the 300 in the same place as the 200.
then move the radiator backwards as theres ample room
if you use the 90 on road a rear rad isnt that practical, also special thought needs to be taken to route the pipework, i spent days on my comp truck making the pipework and bends ( all from aluminium tube )
dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Sarge

Attack Member
Thanks guys,

Will have a sit down and think once the dead engine is out. Will the 300 mate up to the LT77 G/Box ok then? Looking for the easiest solution really as always.

Cheers

Dave

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
The gearboxs are interchangeable.  I'd agree that on-road the rad is not best placed in the back too.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Sarge

Attack Member
Ok, in summary then...............

Leave the existing g/box in and pop the 300 onto the existing 200 engine mounts....... Fuel lines/wiring/bit of exhaust pipe altered (200 to 300) then off we go....... Engine is coming out tomorrow so will see how things go.

My reason for putting the radiators in the back (Fitted to 45 degree rollbar stays) was to prevent them filling up with mud and overheating again. I have a charge cooler to fit and aluminium rad and electric pump for the coolant on that and have an idea where to route all the engine rad pipework. I was going to have 2 fans on the rads in the back and fashion an over the cab air scoop to send air over the cab and down across the rads for road use. Does that make sense?

As always,

Thanks for the input.

Dave

Offline jay2578

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Tayside 4x4 Response
sorry for jacking this thread, but will a 300 fit my 200 disco on origonal mounts and gearbox?
Chairman & Trustee
Tayside 4x4 Response
Scottish Charity No. SC042452
info@tayside4x4response.co.uk

`96 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 (ZJ)
225/70/r16 Marix Puma muds
Roof lights and rack

"It`s a JEEP not a Land Rover!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal