AuthorTopic: Thought the Disco was on fire !!!  (Read 421 times)

Offline andrew2986

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
  • Referrals: 0
Thought the Disco was on fire !!!
« on: April 24, 2010, 17:54:09 »
Oh wow ! just had a really scary moment in the old Disco, thought I could smell a burning oily kind of a smell looked in the mirror and there was SOOOO much smoke pouring out of the back of the motor, pulled over  fairly smartly, and turned the engine off, thinking ive just blown the engine or something (im in the middle of doing a megajolt conversion so was wondering if I had done something really bad to the engine) then ALL THIS SMOKE started billowing out from under the bonnet, I do mean BILLOWING.... jumped out of the disco pretty sharpish...and ran round to the rear door to grab the fire extinguisher and gingerly went round the front by which time the smoke started to clear... opened the bonnet really carefully to be greeted by an engine absolutely covered in oil and thankfully no fire !!
turns out one of the auto gearbox cooler pipes had burst and was throwing ATF onto the fan and all over the headers...

So happy but then [!Expletive Deleted!] off as yet another thing has gone wrong on my piece of junk Disco, and its done it just when its too late to ring around any places to get a spare part so im now motor less for sunday....

Andy
Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Thought the Disco was on fire !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 18:26:23 »
Gutted for you  :'( :'( :'( :'(

I had a very similar thing in my old V8 Disco a few years ago. Just setting off down the M27 when something didn't feel right. There was a sudden lurch and as I looked in the mirror, a massive plume of what looked like smoked poured out of the back. I hit the hard should and jumped out into a wall of smoke.

It turned out the water pump had exploded, throwing coolant onto the headers. I have zero sense of smell, hence my initial judgement thinking it was smoke.

I managed to crawl 500 yards off the M27 to the LR dealer which had just closed on Saturday night for the weekend!

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal