AuthorTopic: Preparing a Discovery for overlanding  (Read 25359 times)

Offline Ralph Hardwick

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Preparing a Discovery for overlanding
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:08:12 »
I have posted this on other forums and had agreat deal of interest so I thought I would add it here.

After an abortive trip to Morocco last year, we are preparing for a trip to the Tunisian Sahara in October 2010.

My car was fairly well prepared but we are making many more mods to turn it into a full blown overland/expedition vehicle over the next few months.

I have detailed some of these and I will be adding plenty more on my website (address in signature below). You are welcome to comment and ask any questions.

I shall make the articles as detailed as possible to show how things were fitted, where they came from, how they were made and how successful they were.

In addition I will be running a 'countdown blog' until we leave on the 2nd October 2010 and then updating it remotely during the trip.

Many of the ideas and mods have come from things I have seen on forums and other personal websites. This site is my way of giving something back to the online community.

Here are some recent articles I have added.  Some articles are still 'in progress'

Full length boot storage system (http://www.overland-rovers.com/ralphs-pages/vehicle-modifications/160-full-length-boot-storage-system.html)
Built in fresh water system (http://www.overland-rovers.com/ralphs-pages/vehicle-modifications/175-fresh-water-system.html)
Solar panels and boot security (http://www.overland-rovers.com/ralphs-pages/vehicle-modifications/179-solar-panels-a-boot-security.html)
Fitting a Hannibal Awning on a Safety Devices Roofrack (http://www.overland-rovers.com/ralphs-pages/kit-a-equipment/158-hannibal-awning.html)

I hope these are of interest.  There is plenty more to come including:

Howling Moon tent write up
GPS Tracking with Spot
Rooflight and work light wiring
Servicing and engine, drivetrain and brakes overhaul
Spares list
Tools list

Cheers

Ralph
1995 300Tdi Discovery

Vehicle mods and expedition countdown blog
www.overland-rovers.com

Norfolk & Suffolk 4X4 Response
www.4x4response.net

Offline Discotel

Attack Member
Re: Preparing a Discovery for overlanding
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 20:37:06 »
Hi Ralph,

You disco looks very nice, well equiped and I wish I was going along with you....I am sooooo envious and wish you all the luck in the world mate on your trip...Always remember the saying....'We are on the earth for a good time, not a long time' so hope you have a blast mate.

Please keep us updated, and love your post with all the info, very handy

Regards, Terry

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 20:56:40 »
Very nice - especially the well thought out boot storage.

:lol:
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 21:49:39 »
hats of to you... good job ;)
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline Ralph Hardwick

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 22:38:44 »
Thanks for the compliments guys.

I have gained so many ideas and suggestions from forums and other websites and this is my way pf giving some of that back.  I shall be updating the blog each weekend (I wrk away during the week) and I shall be adding more and more articles as I progress.

There is a lot of stuff to add from earlier such as the boot floor replacement, the twin battery and snorkel install, the body respray and trim and windows seals replacement which I shall get around to adding eventually.

If you are really interested in keeping up to date you can add your email address to the subscribe list (don't worry it's free and spam free) and you will get a message evrytime we add something to the site.

You can do that here: http://www.overland-rovers.com/latest-articles/subscribe.html

Cheers

Ralph
1995 300Tdi Discovery

www.overland-rovers.com

www.4x4response.net

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 15:16:01 »
Ralph,

awsome set of information matey.

I'm doing the Help for Heroes 4x4 European Rally this year and have been planning to sort out some boot storage. You've saved me some brain strain matey! I'll be copying your full length storage system... all be it a shortened version as SWMBO doesn't want to go with out rear seats.

Also she wants leather range rover seats fitted... so again.. perfect info from you!

So... thanks from me and I look forward to additions via my subscription.

Kindest

Skibum

Offline Ralph Hardwick

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 16:56:12 »
Skibum
Thanks for the kind words.
There is an article on my first storage system which fitted behind the rear seats.  Although it doesn't say it I did have a removable front section to replace the rear seats which gave a level floor and tie down points.   The basic principle of the rear half was the same except it would only take 2 50 litre boxes.  My first one was all 18mm MDF which was way too heavy.  The combination of 9mm ply and 18mm MDF uprights has reduced the weight by, probably, 60% and is no weaker for it.

A standard ply sheet is normally 4' x 8' which is just about wide enough and should give you enough for a top and bottom as you are only doing the boot area behind the seats.  My first attempt was covered with B&Q playgound mats which interlinked to give a nice rattle free surface.  However they were prone to damage.  I am hoping that the carpet tiles will be better.

I'm glad to see you've subscribed and it would be good to see your version once its complete.

Cheers

Ralph
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:17:59 by Ralph Hardwick »
1995 300Tdi Discovery

www.overland-rovers.com

www.4x4response.net

Offline DISCO-CHRIS

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 22:18:45 »
My Disco has been to morrocco,libya and the pirennes before i got hold of it! Guy reckons to have spent in excess of 20k over 8 years of ownership. Gave me loads of spare parts with it when i purchased inc 11 wheels and tyres!Found sahara sand behind the rock sliders when i removed them [-o<
"DISCO" now gone -  but not forgotten! VITARA toy to play with now!(still a work in progress!!3 yrs on) New toy now. . .V8 Disco! Let the fun begin!!
 Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!!
08 KAWASAKI Z-750 FOR SUNNY PLAY DAYS!!

Offline Ralph Hardwick

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 08:44:44 »
For those that haven't visited the site for a while, I have now completed the freshwater installation and added the following:
  • some details about the SPOT tracker
  • overview of the security GPS tracker that's now fitted
  • details of the respray and the prep
  • details of the window shades
  • updated the solar panel info
  • details of the twin battery and snorkel installation
  • article on how to change the brake pads

Amongst other bits.

She's nearly finished now but there is still more info to come as well as the trip blog.

All comments welcome :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:25:20 by Ralph Hardwick »
1995 300Tdi Discovery

www.overland-rovers.com

www.4x4response.net

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:54:03 »
Just been reading your article about fitting window shades - I think I might have to buy a set of those! I was looking at a
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Ralph Hardwick

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 11:07:04 »
Matt

I can definately recommend them.  They are a quality bit of kit although they did take 10 days to arrive.

You can also drop the rear windows while you're driving along and it allows better ventilation without so much noise and buffeting.

Much, much better than window tinting.
1995 300Tdi Discovery

www.overland-rovers.com

www.4x4response.net

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 11:19:45 »
That'd be useful too. I'm planning to do some general paint and bodywork sorting on my truck over the next couple of months (have some flaky bits and bubbling, want to catch it now before it turns into another grotty old Disco!) so I might add a set of the shades at the end of the process to finish it off.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline andycwb

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 12:23:00 »
I ordered a set of Disco II privacy shades from www.speeding.co.uk and they came the next day.
"You came here in *that thing*?  You're braver than I thought."
Td5 Discovery, TD5 Alive Re-Map, QT Diff Guards, Safari Snorkel
Steering Guard, FT-8900 radio, roof rack

Offline ChrisW70

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 12:35:46 »
Ralph - you need to edit the links in your signatures, too many http's and quotes in there.
Chris W

West Midlands Region GLASS Rep
GLASS TRO Officer

Offline Ralph Hardwick

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 12:40:56 »
Well spotted that man.

Thank you, they should work okay now :thumbup:
1995 300Tdi Discovery

www.overland-rovers.com

www.4x4response.net

Offline alankennedy10

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 09:02:11 »
iv just read your pages at overland well have to say that is a fantastic motor you got there love the storage solutions you have come up with there very usfull will rob a few ideas there when i get a disco hopfully next year.

as for your trip last year to moroco could anything else have gone wrong :shocked:

do hope that your planed trip to tunisia run with no probs :dance:

Offline Ralph Hardwick

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 10:07:57 »
Thanks for the compliments.  Please feel free to pinch and adapt any of the ideas and let me know how you get on.

With regard to Morocco, it's difficult to see what else could have gone wrong but that was more than enough :'(

We have done some extensive maintenance on the Disco this weekend which I shall be writing about soon.  Hopefully with all the extra mods, repairs and servicing Tunisia will be less eventfull [-o<
1995 300Tdi Discovery

www.overland-rovers.com

www.4x4response.net

Offline DurtyDisco

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 14:30:48 »
Ralph, just as an aside, in order to help take some of the weight of your awning off the roofrack, and stop the corners flapping about, a useful mod is a couple of old aluminium crutches modified with a small stub in the end can be used to prop up the corners, and give you a frame work. They compress to about .75Mtr, and being made of Ally weigh next to nothing.

Did this on my full length awning and it makes a huge difference when a bit breezy!

Will take some pics and post for you if you like.

Regards

Andi 

2008 Discovery 3 G4 Edition - Still grinning like a small child!

1996 Green 300TDi Commercial - Big Bird - Very
modified!

Offline Ralph Hardwick

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 15:00:50 »
Andi

Thanks for the idea.  TBH we haven't had the chance to test the awning much yet.  we're hoping to get away for a couple of weekends in August (one being the LRMax show on the bank holiday weekend).

I picked the hannibal awning because it didn't have any support poles but I might regret that in windy conditions.

I look forward to seeing your photos.

Cheers

Ralph
1995 300Tdi Discovery

www.overland-rovers.com

www.4x4response.net

Offline andycwb

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 19:48:30 »
Fantastic job.

Incidentally, for anyone wanting some storage space while still keeping the rear seats usable, you can get two 20 litre really useful boxes which will sit flat in the boot keeping most of the space usable, and you can stack them and use one rear seat or (just!) put one person in each rear seat and slide the boxes in between.  A bit cramped but does work.

Since I now have a roof rack I can pull the dog guard out, sit that on the rack, and then slide the boxes on top to use the rear seats.

Really Useful Boxes are the mutts' wossnames.
"You came here in *that thing*?  You're braver than I thought."
Td5 Discovery, TD5 Alive Re-Map, QT Diff Guards, Safari Snorkel
Steering Guard, FT-8900 radio, roof rack

Offline john656

Attack Member
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 21:23:32 »
Best of luck to you... look forward to the updates.
I LOVE the colour of your disco looks the dogs dangalies.

John
My wife can't wrestle but you should see her box.

Offline Ralph Hardwick

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 19:57:26 »
Just in case anyone is interested we are now back from our trip and a full write up can be found here:

http://overland-rovers.com/ralphs-pages/general/trips-a-journeys/322-tunisia-october-2010.html

The trip was an amazing experience and we are now counting down to Morocco in March 2012 :lol:

Endless views

Wild camping under stunning night skys

Stunning sunsets

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 20:03:23 by Ralph Hardwick »
1995 300Tdi Discovery

www.overland-rovers.com

www.4x4response.net

Offline JarodCaputo

Attack Member
    • USA
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:15 »
I have posted this on other forums and had agreat deal of interest so I thought I would add it here.

After an abortive trip to Morocco last year, we are preparing for a trip to the Tunisian Sahara in October 2010.

My car was fairly well prepared but we are making many more mods to turn it into a full blown overland/expedition vehicle over the next few months.

I have detailed some of these and I will be adding plenty more on my website (address in signature below). You are welcome to comment and ask any questions.

I shall make the articles as detailed as possible to show how things were fitted, where they came from, how they were made and how successful they were.

In addition I will be running a 'countdown blog' until we leave on the 2nd October 2010 and then updating it remotely during the trip.

Many of the ideas and mods have come from things I have seen on forums and other personal websites. This site is my way of giving something back to the online community.

Here are some recent articles I have added.  Some articles are still 'in progress'

Full length boot storage system (http://www.overland-rovers.com/ralphs-pages/vehicle-modifications/160-full-length-boot-storage-system.html)
Built in fresh water system (http://www.overland-rovers.com/ralphs-pages/vehicle-modifications/175-fresh-water-system.html)
solar panel and boot security (http://www.overland-rovers.com/ralphs-pages/vehicle-modifications/179-solar-panels-a-boot-security.html)
Fitting a Hannibal Awning on a Safety Devices Roofrack (http://www.overland-rovers.com/ralphs-pages/kit-a-equipment/158-hannibal-awning.html)

I hope these are of interest.  There is plenty more to come including:

Howling Moon tent write up
GPS Tracking with Spot
Rooflight and work light wiring
Servicing and engine, drivetrain and brakes overhaul
Spares list
Tools list

Cheers

Ralph

You have done very nice modifications in your car.. I have been planning a lot trip to Sahara desert and I will surely do similar changes in my own vehicle.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 15:53:55 by JarodCaputo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal