Vehicle & Technical > Not Anything Listed Above....

Restoring a Record Vice

(1/3) > >>

Cyberprog:
Just posted a nice write-up on restoring a Record Vice on my Blog. If you're interested, have a look:

http://alex.threlfall.me.uk/?p=63

Disco Matt:
Very nicely done - good to see someone restoring old kit rather than relegating it to the jobs where you don't want to risk the new tools.

Only one I've ever cleaned up was a "King Dick" 1/2" ratchet. It just needed a good bath in WD40 to remove multiple decades of ingrained gunge followed by a dollop of fresh grease in the ratchet mechanism to return it to perfect working order.

Cyberprog:
Aye, if they're built right that's all they should need. Whilst I'm a techie, I do cry sometimes at the way we have to throw things away these days :)

NiteMare:
i noticed someone had commented that you need soft jaws to complete the vise ...

at school (a long time ago) we were told to make our own by folding sheet aluminium, it only needs to be a couple of mm thick to protect delicate materials

p.s.
there'd be little point in painting my vices as they're too often used for welding, grinding and as anvils, i also used to heat my rods up by striking them on to it if they had got damp, every now and then i'd have to grind little build ups of weld back off  :roll:  :lol:

Cyberprog:

--- Quote from: NiteMare on April 19, 2010, 23:13:51 ---i noticed someone had commented that you need soft jaws to complete the vise ...

at school (a long time ago) we were told to make our own by folding sheet aluminium, it only needs to be a couple of mm thick to protect delicate materials

p.s.
there'd be little point in painting my vices as they're too often used for welding, grinding and as anvils, i also used to heat my rods up by striking them on to it if they had got damp, every now and then i'd have to grind little build ups of weld back off  :roll:  :lol:

--- End quote ---

Hehe, The No6 I have has some globs of weld on it, clearly it has done a job of work in it's time :) I plan on making a metal bench, so won't need to use the welder on the vice ;)
Hammerite has worked wonders straight onto the metal on the No6, much better than the No5.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version