AuthorTopic: Restoring a Record Vice  (Read 12556 times)

Offline Cyberprog

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Restoring a Record Vice
« on: April 10, 2010, 20:53:12 »
Just posted a nice write-up on restoring a Record Vice on my Blog. If you're interested, have a look:

http://alex.threlfall.me.uk/?p=63
Alex Threlfall - Cyberprog New Media
99 T Disco 5Dr Automatic - TD5 Alived! with Larger Intercooler, Samco XDB Hoses, Turbo Boost Box, Stage 2 Remap, Ceramic Exhaust Manifold and Stainless Exhaust
TP4x4 Front & Devon 4x4 Rear HD Bumpers, QT Diff Guards, TP4x4 Steering Guard, Tank Guard, NAS Hitch, Security Screens
Some people have it coming. I'm just a delivery mechanism.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Re: Restoring a Record Vice
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 17:00:37 »
Very nicely done - good to see someone restoring old kit rather than relegating it to the jobs where you don't want to risk the new tools.

Only one I've ever cleaned up was a "King Dick" 1/2" ratchet. It just needed a good bath in WD40 to remove multiple decades of ingrained gunge followed by a dollop of fresh grease in the ratchet mechanism to return it to perfect working order.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Cyberprog

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 19:01:09 »
Aye, if they're built right that's all they should need. Whilst I'm a techie, I do cry sometimes at the way we have to throw things away these days :)
99 T Disco 5Dr Automatic - TD5 Alived! with Larger Intercooler, Samco XDB Hoses, Turbo Boost Box, Stage 2 Remap, Ceramic Exhaust Manifold and Stainless Exhaust
TP4x4 Front & Devon 4x4 Rear HD Bumpers, QT Diff Guards, TP4x4 Steering Guard, Tank Guard, NAS Hitch, Security Screens

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 23:13:51 »
i noticed someone had commented that you need soft jaws to complete the vise ...

at school (a long time ago) we were told to make our own by folding sheet aluminium, it only needs to be a couple of mm thick to protect delicate materials

p.s.
there'd be little point in painting my vices as they're too often used for welding, grinding and as anvils, i also used to heat my rods up by striking them on to it if they had got damp, every now and then i'd have to grind little build ups of weld back off  :roll:  :lol:
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline Cyberprog

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 23:17:04 »
i noticed someone had commented that you need soft jaws to complete the vise ...

at school (a long time ago) we were told to make our own by folding sheet aluminium, it only needs to be a couple of mm thick to protect delicate materials

p.s.
there'd be little point in painting my vices as they're too often used for welding, grinding and as anvils, i also used to heat my rods up by striking them on to it if they had got damp, every now and then i'd have to grind little build ups of weld back off  :roll:  :lol:

Hehe, The No6 I have has some globs of weld on it, clearly it has done a job of work in it's time :) I plan on making a metal bench, so won't need to use the welder on the vice ;)
Hammerite has worked wonders straight onto the metal on the No6, much better than the No5.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:39:03 »
I had a dream last night about finding box of rusty record vices in rubbish heap. Now this morning I see this thread active again  :shocked:
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Cyberprog

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 14:22:49 »
I had a dream last night about finding box of rusty record vices in rubbish heap. Now this morning I see this thread active again  :shocked:
I'd worry if I were you. Rusty vices? You should be dreaming of rusty landies...

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 15:18:38 »
I'd worry if I were you. Rusty vices? You should be dreaming of rusty landies...

Was odd aye, dream went on to me having to set up a lathe with a 4 jaw chuck whilst being observed by a prospective boss. Weird to be having engineering dreams especially as I haven't touched a 4 jaw chuck since apprenticeship nor have I any recent ambition of working in engineering. I do have a big record vice in the footwell of my series 1 that I need to mount somewhere.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 01:08:25 »
With the possible exception of the lathes, the workshp at work is less well equiped than my garage.  It's sad to see decent tools (like the Record vices) neglected and abused by kids.

Nice to have access to a lathe again though, even if I'll have to sort it out before I can use it.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Cyberprog

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 19:53:04 »
With the possible exception of the lathes, the workshp at work is less well equiped than my garage.  It's sad to see decent tools (like the Record vices) neglected and abused by kids.

Nice to have access to a lathe again though, even if I'll have to sort it out before I can use it.

Just wait till they trap their fingers in one. Those are the most lasting lessons you can have :) (i.e. the ones involving broken bones & blood blisters)

Offline Cyberprog

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 19:40:54 »
Bit of a Bump here, but just restored a nice Record G-Clamp with the same methods;

http://alex.threlfall.me.uk/?p=369

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal