AuthorTopic: SJ/Samurai Fuel tank - are they interchangeable?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline rustyrhinos

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
SJ/Samurai Fuel tank - are they interchangeable?
« on: March 08, 2010, 20:01:32 »
Hello.

Another quickie, sorry for all the questions so far, but it's far easier to ask people who have been there and done it!

The fuel tank and guard is knackered on my 1989 Samurai. I have been told there are 2 types of tanks - one which has the wires on the sender, and the other 3. My questions are....does it actually matter what tank I get - will my wiring work with any sender? Or if not, are the senders interchangeable - i.e I put my sender on whatever tank I get? Are they the same physical fitment as well?

Am slowly gettign there with this project vehicle!

Cheers

Alex

Offline 4xmike

Attack Member
Re: SJ/Samurai Fuel tank - are they interchangeable?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 20:54:44 »
Hi
I think it all depends on where the sj was made,the spanish made ones seem to have 3 wires on the sender & the jap ones only have one wire & earth through the tank
the senders are not the same,so you wont be able to swap them over,most second hand tanks are the jap type
I once put a jap tank in a spanish sj & the fuel gauge only ever read full when in use no matter how empty the tank was
mike

Offline buckshot

Attack Member
Re: SJ/Samurai Fuel tank - are they interchangeable?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 18:00:27 »
hi, i have a good tank ,i kept it in case i ever had another sj but if it will help you out £40 and its yours,its a samurai 1992 tank with the 3 wires on the sender,it only has 2 wires though the earth and the fuel gauge ,i cut low level wire out as it was always flashing when offroading.its a good solid tank just needs a swill out and a coat of paint,red oxide is to stop it rusting around the joints,i am in boston lincs so about an hour away if interested,sorry no postage. i don,t have a tank guard.
aches & pains

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal