AuthorTopic: vauxhall astra estate.. cv joint ??  (Read 2950 times)

Offline stretchy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
vauxhall astra estate.. cv joint ??
« on: March 03, 2010, 16:49:19 »
alright guys. got an old astra that is noking a bit round corners and also sounds like a slight bit of grinding and steerinig wobble. i have jacked it up and had a look but i know nothing about cars. the cv joint boot looks in good condition and i cant feel any play in anything els. any ideas?? the mots up soon so was hoping to get it to pass as the engine looks fresh. can i do the cv joint myself ??

stretchy
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline chunk84

Attack Member
Re: vauxhall astra estate.. cv joint ??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 06:57:53 »
yes mate doin a cv on a astra is easy all ya have to do is undo the lower arm,big castle nut,etc then just pull the whole drive shaft out then peel the cv gaiter back and the will be a circlip in the center of the cv its self then should slide of with a bit of force
300 tdi disco egr removed and boost turned up ,5 inch lift ,steering guard ,trantula steering armswith pro comp shock , extended arches,33x12.50x15 cooper stt on silver mods ,front and rear diff gaurds,axel breathers ,snorkel and a winchbumper with 9000lb super winch

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:47:54 »

thanks mate

any ideas how I can defanatly check its the cv thats clonking??
also how much are a cv joint normaly ??

thanks

stretchy
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline Jay_disco

Attack Member
  • To Infinity And Beyond!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 18:22:56 »
cv joints are quite cheap to be honest mate. either look on ebay or if you want to do it real cheap get one from a scrap yard. just remember to put plenty of grease in the cv. once you have changed that put the steering on full lock then drive it in a complete circle while accelerating. then go full lock the opposite direction and do the same. if there is noise your fixed. as for wheel wobble, could be a few things....wheel bearing id say if you was getting a grinding noise too. other than that maybe a track rod end worn or any of the other bushes located around that section.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal