Vehicle & Technical > Freelander

Unreliable, Fragile Freelanders

<< < (3/3)

Smego:

--- Quote from: carbore on February 21, 2010, 21:16:07 ---Well, no, not really, You see with people taking the mick out of Freelanders you'd of though this section would be stuffed with people asking for help and advice on how to fix them...or make them better.....

...but no. It seems we are all quietly driving around, enjoying our cars and not getting stuck or broken down etc .....    :-)

Where as my proper land rover......that hasn't turned a wheel in 2 years! (mind you its 40 years old ish!)

Double mind you, my Tractors doing fine, and that's 60 years old! Moved a ton of rocks with that last weekend.

--- End quote ---

Probably because this is a forum for off-road peoples most freelander owners wouldn't even think of logging in here.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

jay2578:
I`m not keen on freelanders, i dont like the look of em, although i have seen the odd one with kits on that look pretty tidy, but what i will say is, i dont doubt their off-road capabilites one bit, after all its still a land rover. they (to me) look a little too car like or my taste, although the F2 is a bit more chunky and capable looking.
 As i say, they are not really to my taste, but thats a personal thing and given the choice between a car or a freelander, well, cut me in half and youll find a green oval running through me like blackpool runs through a stick of rock! :grin: :grin:

Gordo:
Freelanders are very capable but, as I'm discovering with mine, there are limitations brought on by the way they're built.

The steering and suspension is very car-like and less able to cope with the abuse it gets off road - I've done a CV joint and a couple of shafts (and my mechanic hates working on it when it's covered in mud  :embarrassed:).

It's a case of the right tool for the job, and if you're on muddy lanes, farm tracks, towing stuff in and out of fields, ice and snow, they're fine - if you want to do some heavy-duty mud-plugging then you need a heavy-duty 4x4.

Keep out of the deep ruts and you'll be fine: mud, climbs, rock-crawling, wading, axle-twists are all good.

I've given mine a 2" lift, and whilst it has improved the ground clearance, it probably hasn't helped the consumption of drive-train components...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version