AuthorTopic: Changing to Truck Cab from Station Wagon  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Axetamer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Changing to Truck Cab from Station Wagon
« on: February 12, 2010, 19:38:57 »
If I was to put a truck cab on instead of being a station wagon, are there any other things that need to be done other than telling the insurance company? and I suppose the DVLA
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline Highland_Defender

Attack Member
Re: Changing to Truck Cab from Station Wagon
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 21:57:18 »
Dont quote me, lol. but i think thats all you have to do. Im doing the same thing shortly, although to a pure hard top.

I'm sure someone with more knowlage will be along.
06 Mitsubishi L200 animal-BFG A/T 265-70-17, Midland cb, twin arials, 4 light force 170 lights (for sale)!! Cheap to a good home

Landrover 3.5v8 90-Tree sliders, steering guard, tank guard, light bar, 8 spokes with xzl's

Yamaha 350 Bigbear 4x4-Front VIPER Elite winch, Rear VIPER Elite demount winch, Warn spot lights, 28" tyres

www.nessoffroad.co.uk

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 18:09:57 »
Thanks for the reply, doing a bit of surfing it seems to be that only chassis alterations need a SVA doing.

So if I was to replace my rear crossmember with one from D44, http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p87c43/0/d44-8274-rear-cross-member-with-winch-mount.html, I would need a SVA doing?

I've decided to truck cab mine as roll cages for truck cabs are about a third of the price of a full external hard top.
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline KK Mobile

Attack Member
  • Project Not Finished Yet!!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 22:13:25 »

So if I was to replace my rear crossmember with one from D44, http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p87c43/0/d44-8274-rear-cross-member-with-winch-mount.html, I would need a SVA doing?

Shouldn't have to as your not actually changing the chassis!! the D44 is a direct replacement to the rear of chassis!! only difference being it incorporates a rear winch tray.

You don't have to tell them when you replace a rusted on for a britpart or alike! cos the new one does the same job but isn't supplied from L/rover.

Fitted one of these to my 90 & went on a treat done in about 2 hours!! ( old one cut of & new one on ) :dance: :clap:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 22:16:15 by KK Mobile »
www.kkmobile.co.uk

I hate tyre kickers!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 16:45:14 »
It's probabaly as close as you can get without needinf an SVA.  When Blackbob put that Sierra on his RRC chassis the DVLA insisted that welding brackets to the outriggers meant his chassis was no longer original and unmodyfied.  Like you say though, you can plate over rust to your heart's content.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

littlepow

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 17:01:11 »

Shouldn't have to as your not actually changing the chassis!! the D44 is a direct replacement to the rear of chassis!! only difference being it incorporates a rear winch tray.

You don't have to tell them when you replace a rusted on for a britpart or alike! cos the new one does the same job but isn't supplied from L/rover.

Fitted one of these to my 90 & went on a treat done in about 2 hours!! ( old one cut of & new one on ) :dance: :clap:

I got a North offroad rear winch tray fitted into my rear cross member between the chassis legs, DVLA said it was classed as just repairing the chassis. But for your own safety (legally) best to email them and get a written answer.

But as to changing to truck cab, you will just need an inspection or receipt of work from a recognised garage if you want to convert to commercial tax bracket.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal