AuthorTopic: ID Cards  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
ID Cards
« on: January 31, 2010, 21:22:58 »
Has anyone else on here got one of the National ID Cards???

I go for my interview tomorrow.

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline sMUDge

Attack Member
Re: ID Cards
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 03:47:39 »
Had one for the last 20 years?!!!  But I'm a soldier, so used to the idea of carrying ID  :D

Nothing to hide, nothing to worry about  :-k 

Plus it's not a lot different to the "new" driving Licence  :-k   :D
Disco Ser 2 V8

Handle every situation like my dog does, if you can't eat it or hump it, wee on it and walk away......

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:35:52 »
Have a read of

http://www.no2id.net/

first.

Please don't get one. You'll never get that loss of information back, and ID fraud will become easier and easier. (public key encryption anyone?)
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 13:27:10 »
It will be a cold day in hell before I get an ID card on this scheme!!

I'm ex Royal Navy, so obviously have carried a card during that time, but that just identified ME and not my life history, credit rating, shoe size etc etc etc!!

Lets face it, the Government cannot be trusted to keep details safe now, so why the hell should I trust them with more information??
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 13:49:00 »
Walk past with an RFID reader, thank you very much that's a copy of your card.

Now what is it that's going to be needed for a passport, driving licence, bank account, gun certificate...

There's a reason why having several bits of paper rather than just one to prove who you are is a good idea.

Same with the DNA database, done nothing wrong, nothing to hide my arse.  I walk into a toilet and pull a tissue out of the bin, commit a crime and leave that tissue behind. There you go, DNA evidence at the scene of the crime. DNA can't be wrong. Do not pass go, do not collect £200.

OH make sure you renew your passport before the end of the year, they go fully biometric at that point.

1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 14:47:53 »
As one blogger put it, anyone trotting out the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" line should be offered the chance to live in a house with glass walls and no curtains. They've nothing to hide, after all...  ;)

I already carry photo ID. It's called my driving licence. That has my name, date of birth, and a photo on it. Why is anything else needed?
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 15:35:46 »
Ok,

Quite happily went along today and paid me £30 for it.

I think its a personal choice.  If i am happy for them to have the data, which tbh they have access to all of it anyway, then i will sign up - which i did.

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 15:49:25 »
Ok,

Quite happily went along today and paid me £30 for it.

I think its a personal choice.  If i am happy for them to have the data, which tbh they have access to all of it anyway, then i will sign up - which i did.

It's not 'them' having access to your data, it's anyone else who wants it too !!!
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 18:26:51 »
can't remember if this actual story was bogus though the potential risks of RFIDs are a reality and the subject has been done to death at many a hackcon....
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/02/video-hacker-war-drives-san-francisco-cloning-rfid-passports/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 18:28:53 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 19:21:58 »
For the ID card to be given to everyone it has to have public key encryption. Private key wont work due to the potential of 60 000 000 keys being needed.

That mean that the encryption on 1 card get's reverse engineered all ID cards can be read by anyone with an RFID scanner.

http://www.gadgets-galore.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=189303

So that card which has all your details on has just been read by the person who walked past you in the street. No contact needed.  That person then uploads your information to their card (with their holographic photo on) and they've just become you.  New bank account?  Don't need several forms of ID, nope just the .gov ID card.  Credit cards in your name?  Plenty there sir.

When you come to complain, they check their records and they scanned your card. Must be you sir, are you lying sir?  What do you mean you don't remember taking out £30 000 of loans sir?

Hope you feel safe now that you've got one.

I'd personally cut my losses on the £30 and cut it into the smallest pieces possible, then burn it.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 20:54:50 »

So that card which has all your details on has just been read by the person who walked past you in the street.

if the concepts in the book 'little brother' by Cory Doctorow *spit* (sorry ex-bigboss) hold water then RFIDs can be remotely cloned, erased and re-coded with someone elses data in the 'walking passed' scenario. In the book the freedom activists swap the RFIDs of devices so that many people would be flagged to the homeland security as having suspicious out of the norm movements in an effort to null the system with many false positives.

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 22:40:59 »
1 single positive crack key will cause the whole lot to tumble.

Saying that, .gov will have left a full copy of the database on an unencrypted dvd on a train anyway.

Might have a look out for that book sounds like a good read?
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 22:50:49 »
1 single positive crack key will cause the whole lot to tumble.

Saying that, .gov will have left a full copy of the database on an unencrypted dvd on a train anyway.

Might have a look out for that book sounds like a good read?

its a ...erm... fiction young adult book (teen!), but anyway its still readable and not far fetched and set in the near future . It is more of a guidebook to protecting freedom and our privacy, urge us to not except things as secure because we are told they are but to scrutinise security systems ourselves and seek out any potential weaknesses.

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 23:02:08 »
Bit like that handbook which is being used in government at the moment then,

What's it called?

1984?
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline sMUDge

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 23:48:27 »
In 1984 they use a speech system "newspeak",  see how close that it to the way the "youngsters" Text each other, virtually identical  :-k
Disco Ser 2 V8

Handle every situation like my dog does, if you can't eat it or hump it, wee on it and walk away......

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 08:59:00 »
I don't really see "txt spk" as newspeak, it's just annoying and makes my eyes hurt!  :lol:

Newspeak is alive and well and growing like mildew in publicly-funded bodies. The one that really annoys me is the word "issue". No, you mean problem, or question, or matter depending on the context. Magazines have issues, people have problems!

The Dilbert cartoons had an excellent idea for "buzzword bingo", to be played when dealing with managers who are seemingly unable to communicate in plain English.

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 09:01:07 »
I don't really see "txt spk" as newspeak, it's just annoying and makes my eyes hurt!  :lol:

Newspeak is alive and well and growing like mildew in publicly-funded bodies. The one that really annoys me is the word "issue". No, you mean problem, or question, or matter depending on the context. Magazines have issues, people have problems!

The Dilbert cartoons had an excellent idea for "buzzword bingo", to be played when dealing with managers who are seemingly unable to communicate in plain English.

Actually you mean incident not issue ;)

A problem is a reoccuring incident with a known solution.

I'll get my coat...........
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 16:37:24 »
As has been happily pointed out, the ID card isn't particularly secure, but does contain secure information

I've seen the argument that it contains biometric information so it's secure used, but I can put all my private details in a bucket and leave it outside, just because it contains "private" information doesn't make it secure.

What it does mean is that if you get your details stolen or cloned, you're stuffed.  Forget changing your bank account details, it'll be a cornea transplant and leg lengthening surgery or nothing :)
--

Offline Sider

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 05:46:17 »
I shall get flamed for this, but what the heck>>>

The data is not just stored in the card, but there's a backup on a database, in case of the card being "cloned" with false data, all you would need to do is apply for the original data to sort out your problems.

I bet you still use checks, yet they are much more susceptible to fraud than any other kind of payment method.

And lastly (for now), I shall point out that in Spain we have had compulsory ID cards since 1944, and that identity theft in Spain is almost unheard of. Hummm... Go figure.
Nico

Nobody expects.....The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 16:04:57 »
New Scientist recently had an article about a group of security researchers who managed to crack the "touch" card readers used for things like Oyster cards or the new Barclaycard that apparently works on a water slide. Their suggestions included that anti-capitalist protesters could build a box that would fill the cards of those who walked past it, then hide a handful of them in shopping areas.

If frankly rather stupid scammers can rip off card details with a box they stick on the front of a cashpoint, it wouldn't take them long to build something to interrogate an ID card that's carried past it...

Every government IT project in this country seems to fall victim to an approach of paying whoever shows you the shiniest product, even if it turns out to be utterly hopeless and fails miserably to be ready to use on time or on budget. In the 1980s we had some of the best programmers in the world. It's not a lack of brains, it's a lack of government willingness to support them and the repeated failure to value solid, reliable contents over a shiny cover.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal