AuthorTopic: XJ upgrades - what and priority?  (Read 6184 times)

Offline DavidH

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
XJ upgrades - what and priority?
« on: January 31, 2010, 11:06:44 »
I'm wanting to do a bit more that drive round the lawn in my XJ.
Not planning of going up everest but would like to play properly on pay and play days at local tracks -Devils pit etc.
Car is currently standard (2.5ltr petrol) so I'm guessing
Lift kit
Protection
Recovery points
Tyres
Suspension mods
Snorkel

But what and in what order.  Mods are going to have to be done over period of time as still have 5 four leg 1 horse power money eaters to keep.

Appreciate any help here.

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
Re: XJ upgrades - what and priority?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 11:11:01 »
Recovery points then tyres
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline jonny ramrod

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:20:46 »
i would save up and do the lift and bigger tyres/wheels in one go. (thats what im doing)

then the rest after that. At the moment, mine is still standard apart from some a/t tyres and seems to cope well with green lanes, but i think with it being the 2.5 diesel that it is slightly higher than a petrol as standard.. (i could be wrong though).

Have you joined the birty dastards forum..?? I did when i got mine and a very helpful and friendly bunch they are..
give me mud or give me death........

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 22:05:34 »
Weasel diseasels do sit higher than petrol 4l  XJ's..its a spring thing methinks....

Be blessed and post more on Birtys..

BF

Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline luffy

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 15:09:11 »
Diesel XJs sit an inch higher than their petrol counterparts as they have a heavy duty spring pack (and no rear anti-roll bar).  Depending on how high you want to go, diesel springs and extended shackles will give a petrol model a 2" lift.  This is what I have on mine.  For the front, a pair of coil spacers will level it out.

The higher you go the more likely you are to need a transfer case drop or SYE as you'll introduce driveline vibrations.  Admittedly though, the Mk1s are more forgiving with lifts than the facelifted XJs.

If it were me, I'd go for recovery points, and underbody protection first, especially if you off road it before lifting it. There's some pretty vulnerable bits underneath!  Also, remove the rear anti roll bar to give the rear suspension more flex.  It's really not needed unless you drive the thing like a Ferrari!

As for lifts, how high is up to you but the higher you go the more work you obviously make for yourself.  Mine has 2" (and no anti-roll bar) and as an everyday vehicle it's great as it's still nice and stable.     
Andy

Lightly modified '99 Cherokee 4.0L LPG for the mud!
'01 Mercedes SLK 230 for the sun!

Offline DavidH

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 10:48:05 »
Diesel XJs sit an inch higher than their petrol counterparts as they have a heavy duty spring pack (and no rear anti-roll bar).  Depending on how high you want to go, diesel springs and extended shackles will give a petrol model a 2" lift.  This is what I have on mine.  For the front, a pair of coil spacers will level it out.    
Like this idea!  :D Thanks

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 11:23:21 »
Suspension and tyres at the same time.

No point lifting if you've stock tyres, and you can't fit decent height tyres with no lift. The 27" which come stock on jeeps are comical.

Aim for 31" tyres minimum and that will get you through 99% of green lanes in britain (there's 1 in cornwall which I know about you won't make, apart from that can't think of any off the top of my head). P&P sites, put 44" tyres on and you'll still get stuck.

Underbody protection, not really needed IMO for starting off, you'll have better things to spend your money on, I'm running stock, which is nothing, and I've yet to even touch the transfer case on anything. Am running 6 1/2" lift at the chassis rail though.

2nd mod, CB radio, turns the past time from being quite insular to very sociable.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:53:11 »

Aim for 31" tyres minimum and that will get you through 99% of green lanes in britain (there's 1 in cornwall which I know about you won't make, apart from that can't think of any off the top of my head).

Not visited Wiltshire much have ya  :grin: we are that 1%
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:38:36 »

Aim for 31" tyres minimum and that will get you through 99% of green lanes in britain (there's 1 in cornwall which I know about you won't make, apart from that can't think of any off the top of my head).

Yup quite a bit and no problems.  31" tyres are fine for greenlaning in Britain IMO :P  I'm on 33's at the moment, and really it's only 32mm higher than a 31" at the diff. That's just the difference between a bit of careful driving and just going over things...
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:20:43 »

Not visited Wiltshire much have ya  :grin: we are that 1%
Yup quite a bit and no problems.  31" tyres are fine for greenlaning in Britain IMO :P  I'm on 33's at the moment, and really it's only 32mm higher than a 31" at the diff. That's just the difference between a bit of careful driving and just going over things...
I use 235x85's and not interested in driving any green lane that would require more or couldn't be driven straddling sticky bits. Nothing short of tractor will get down a lane near Avebury for instance (nemisis lane - lane from hell etc) and it not as though you can straddle ruts or take alternative. When it was drivable I got my series 1 dragged though, a jeep in group could not even attempt it for the simple reason that it's large wheels where too wide to fit down the trenched walls of the lane near the start. Last time I walked it we found a pair of GRP sand ladders and a huge pool of oil where someones engine died. All sorts so debri down there telling tales of misery. The route  was used as a trator run between fields ,that what made so bad and the fact there is no firm ground underneath - just keeps sinking.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:29:53 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline The Smiths

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 14:26:01 »

Yup quite a bit and no problems.  31" tyres are fine for greenlaning in Britain IMO :P  I'm on 33's at the moment, and really it's only 32mm higher than a 31" at the diff. That's just the difference between a bit of careful driving and just going over things...

I'd have thought it would only be 1" (25mm) at  the Diff ;) - assuming 31 is 31" and 33 is 33" - but seen 31's measure 32", and 33's measure 32" :doh:
If you always do what you have always done.
You will always get what you have always had.

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 14:32:22 »
And if the 31 is 30 as in recipts and the 33 is in fact 34 as in simex then it would be 2" difference  :roll: :roll:
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal