Vehicle & Technical > Discovery

RUSTPROOFING: ADVICE ON FIRMS & WAXOYL NEEDED

<< < (2/4) > >>

bogie:
I wouldnt trust those pictures anyway they look far to perfect .

roccodog:
I found its best to mix it with white spirit to thin it down a bit, the white spirit evapourates and allows the wax-oyl to harden properly.
I've done my 90 and disco myself its worth spending a weekend on the job so you can jet wash the underside let it dry and spend a day spraying wax-oyl. If you can get your hands on a compressor its worth it, I bought the hand pump and ended up throwing it in the bin and buying a compressor.

bigwood:
Last time I did my Disco with Waxoil I got as much muck off with the pressure wash  at work and then blasted off all the rest of the muck and loose underseal with a blow gun. The compressor at work unregulated will take old underseal off at one hit. I had thought about using Dinatrol this year but as I can get Waxoil at trade from my local Halfrauds it wins every time. :D I agree with the idea of diluting slightly with white spirit, about half a cap full per gun and keep the can in a bucket of hot water.
Believe me its no muckier job than fixing old buses for a living ;)

John Clayton:
Nice one -thanks Guys!

The next question is:
"For surface rust on chassis/underbody, would you recommend
a) painting it with a rust killer paint then using a Waxoyl type treatment on top
b) painting it with Hammerite paint then using a Waxoyl type treatment on top
c) just Waxoyling straight onto the metal (less resilient to underbody abrasion e.g. when the vehicle 'grounds out'?)

roccodog:

--- Quote from: John Clayton on February 10, 2010, 20:18:46 ---Nice one -thanks Guys!

The next question is:
"For surface rust on chassis/underbody, would you recommend
a) painting it with a rust killer paint then using a Waxoyl type treatment on top
b) painting it with Hammerite paint then using a Waxoyl type treatment on top
c) just Waxoyling straight onto the metal (less resilient to underbody abrasion e.g. when the vehicle 'grounds out'?)

--- End quote ---

wax-oyl will "kill" surface rust so once the area has been pressure washed and dried off just wax-oyl straight on top.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version