Vehicle & Technical > Discovery

RUSTPROOFING: ADVICE ON FIRMS & WAXOYL NEEDED

(1/4) > >>

John Clayton:
Does anyone have any views on whether a slightly rusty mid 90s 300TDI is worth blowing £540 smackers (inc VAT) on it to get it professionally Waxoyled by this chap?:
www.before-n-after.co.uk

Can you do a reasonable job yourself and how long does it take?

Is it worth hiring a compressor to spray the WAXOYL in?

Are there any other firms that do a decent job cheaper than this?  [It is a HUGE amount of money]
This place seems cheaper but it's too far north:
http://www.jrclassics.co.uk/prices.html

Henry Webster:
It certainly is a job you can do yourself, but its mucky and smelly and if you want to do it right takes some time.

Personally I wouldn't spend that much money to get it done unless the car is a minter to start with...  I am sure this chap does a good job, but at that price you can virtually buy another Discovery!  I am sure a local garage might do a less thorough job for much cheaper.

A compressor will certainly make the job easier, although I believe they do sell a hand pump kit, but I haven't tried it.

Even with a compressor in my experience it is worth keeping the Waxoil container in a bucket of warm water or next to a heater (though careful, because it is nominally flammable!) because it works much better when it is warmer and therefore thinner.

Get the car as high as you safely can, the get under it and get into all the nooks and crannies!

Remember also that Waxoyl is not a one fix job, you'll have to reapply it, probably every year.

H

les baty:
a chap told me he mixes old engine oil into the wax oil to make it a bit thinner and easier to spray on

lurch_917:

--- Quote from: les baty on January 26, 2010, 18:42:05 ---a chap told me he mixes old engine oil into the wax oil to make it a bit thinner and easier to spray on

--- End quote ---
sorry les but i wouldnt advice this as if you add oil the wax oil then wont harden and becomes just like cheep underseal that will last untill the first big wet drive

bogie:
Ive done a few over the years,i used to charge £100 all in.As long everything is dry there aint a problem,only takes an hour or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version