AuthorTopic: Rear Door Seal and Water ingress  (Read 10549 times)

Offline Freelander1980

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rear Door Seal and Water ingress
« on: January 04, 2010, 18:02:56 »
Well i have opened that lovely littl cubby box in the boot to find my very own swimming pool. I have read around that this is mainly caused by the rear door seal. Can anyone confirm if they have replaced this and if it has stopped the water flow as at 50 quid for the seal want to know that it will work, also how can i tell if the other seal has perished.

Offline disco2 td5

Attack Member
Re: Rear Door Seal and Water ingress
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 00:26:57 »
i use to have a freelander and mine leaked inbetween the plastc trim and the body work above the rear door a tube of silicome later and it were sorted

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 17:15:36 »
Have you inspect the seal to make sure its not damaged. Also rubber seals can tire but give it a good clean with a rough cloth with meths on and you may get it sealing again!
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline Freelander1980

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 21:36:12 »
I will give that ago tomorrow before i see about forking out for a new seal, also has anyone had problems with the windows on the rear of the removable as i think i am leaking from there as well

Offline c13tay

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 06:48:30 »
Drill a small hole in the cubby floor to let the water drain out !!

Offline DoubleTop

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 21:50:07 »
is the headlining wet ? Mine was, replaced the £15 worth of little plastic plugs and a dollop of sealant and fixed it.

http://www.myfreelander.co.uk/Body/bodyprobs12.htm

The ice and snow has meant it's leaking again now though :(

DT.
Currently playing Space Pioneers
on transfer from bootcamp, if this link is used my account is credited with 25 premium points

Offline Blippie

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 19:17:18 »
I had a real duck pond in the back of one of ours so I looked into all the options.

For condensation only, drilling some holes in the lid, or airing the cubby regularly, is often enough.

If there is defintaely a leak, drilling holes in the bottom treats the symptom but is not a cure.

You can run sealant or even mastik along the top of the plstic trim at the top of the rear drop glass, between the plastic and the body.

I then spent a pleasing afternoon sitting in the boot whilst an assistant ran a hose over the back door.  We'd taken the rear door card trim off (instructions are in Haines manual) and we checked the plastic water shedder, etc.

Then you can the try adjusting the rear door to get the best fit.

Finally we succumed to paying our local land rover dealer to change the rear door seal for the newer version. They had to do it twice as thd first time they tightened up the door too much and the seal split within a month.

No more leaks noted, but we did still suffer from bad condensation on the windows.

I solved this by taking up the carpet from the rear footwells and airing it out - water from the boot leak had tracked down under the carpet to under the rear passengers' feet.

Cheers

Blippie

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
  • Who Said I can't go there?????
    • Near the next village in Hertfordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 10:22:32 »
Hi all
I had the Freelander Swimming pool in mine, Cleaned it all out put new seal on car, after 3 months half inch of water in the lowest part.

So cleaned that up and reseated the seal and noticed that it was gripping the car but not enought still felt lose so went around with mole grips wit cloth wrapped around the grips to protect the seal went around every inch no problem since and that was 2 years ago hope this helps in some way

Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal