AuthorTopic: Ignition Barrel removal  (Read 994 times)

Offline Andrew2005

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Ignition Barrel removal
« on: January 03, 2010, 19:32:34 »
HI all

I have a sticking barrel and on DOC have had a solution presented which I am in the process of implementing but am now stuck.  I have removed everything and am ready to remove the actual barrel, but can't see how to release it.  Does any body know how to do this?   It is a D2 2003 auto model.

Cheers

Andy

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
Re: Ignition Barrel removal
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 23:22:27 »
i have only done this on a 200 but if they are anything like the same from what i could gather is that its designed not to be taken apart or taken of for odvios resens.. I just changed the whole colum. if anyone els knows diferent i would like to know allso as I have a few peple ask me about this when looking for a new barrel

stretchy
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 23:32:17 »
Most ignition shrouds are held on with snap bolts ( the head snaps off at a certain torque) they need to be tapped round with an hammer & chisel or drilled and an eeziout inserted in the hole.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline Andrew2005

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 14:12:30 »
HI

I have the whole assembly off and was hoping to get to work on the barrel, however I can't figure out how to remove it from the rest of the assembly.  I have tried turning the key to position 1, but nothing seems to move the barrel.  Any help would be greatlyu appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Offline Ricky

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:32:02 »
Not done one myself but i have seen lots on the net about doing them, seem to recal drilling out a retaining pin to release the barrel then you get springs and wafers shooting out all over the place :shock:
Managed to fix mine without a full stripdown, tapped it on the bench a few times and loads of brass coloured filings and dust came out of it, then flushed it with electrical cleaner a few times to remove any oil which just holds all the crap a jams it, then finaly loaded it with graphite powder instead of oil. Not had a problem since.
You could google Global keys in kingswinford, they have a autolock guru there called Lee, you could post it to him and he will stripp, repair and clean for £25, price is current as its just been discussed on another forum.

Heres a "How to"   http://www.landrover-uk.net/forum/showthread.php/165270-Ignition-Lock-cure?p=1310211
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:03:43 by Ricky »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal