AuthorTopic: Frontera diesel lumps ?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline CompoSimmonite

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Frontera diesel lumps ?
« on: December 24, 2009, 15:38:04 »
I'm considering a SWB Frontera diesel.
Anyone enlighten about the engines.
I'm assuming the 2.2 TDi  is a Vauxhall item and is electronically / ECU controlled.
The 2.5 is a VM engine. Is it the basic version or the electronically controlled pump timing version ?

What about the 2.3 and 2.8 diesels ?
Are they Isuzu and are there any electronics or just good old fashiion, simple, diesel technology ?

Thanks.

Paul H

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Re: Frontera diesel lumps ?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 19:29:24 »
hi paul
sorry i can only tell you about the 2.3 and 2.8
the 2.3 is a gm engine very good engine but not very fast and not to good for towing but is (in my experiance) a good engine i didnt have any issues
with it in my old lwb.
im currently runnin the 2.8 in a swb,this is an isuzu engine same as they use in the trooper
again very good engines turbo does lack some punch but can easily be changed for the turbo form the 3.1 trooper for some extra power
ive driven on with the 3.1 turbo fitted and it does make a great difference in the power delivery from a astanded 2.8 unit.

if you require more info on the other engines join FOG plenty of info on there for you to browse

hope this helps

simon

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 00:00:21 »
The frontera 2.8 is a tuned version of the trooper 2.8. Puts the same BHP but lower torque as the Isuzu 3.1, but with the benefits of direct over indirect injection.

The 2.3 is a bedford CF engine. I've known a few have oil pump failures though :(

The 2.2 dti has a diesel lubricated fuel pump, run it out of diesel and £600 bill for a new / reconned pump.

The 2.5 has a mechanical pump, not the electronic one. PITA when it goes wrong, but a fine engine when it's working.

muddyfrontera.co.uk for loads of decent technical information.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline CompoSimmonite

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 09:41:22 »
Thanks for the clarification.

I've actually got a low mileage VM pump etc as well as 3 new heads (long story) and other parts so they don't frighten me.

I have run various vehicles on veg oil for many years (before it became popular) hence wanting to avoid the 2.2 DTi and the ludite in me doesen't like electronically controlled diesels of any type - even those with basic adjustable timing.

Merry Xmas.

Paul H

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal