AuthorTopic: Advise needed = EGR removal and De-Cat pipe 300TDi  (Read 7229 times)

Offline The Electrician

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • my original Discovery - long since replaced -R.I.P
  • Referrals: 0
Advise needed = EGR removal and De-Cat pipe 300TDi
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:43:09 »
Someone out there must have done the EGR removal and the De-cat, Is it worth doing ?

I'm a V8 man usually and i miss the acceleration, but the fuel consumsion of my newly purchased 300TDi seems fine (I surpose more mpg would always be nice) But my main aim is to increase the pick up a tad.

I have read tonnes of threads about increasing the power and mpg by doing the following 'tweeks'

EGR removal (blanking)
De-Cat
Either new or properly cleaned oil cooler
properly cleaned inlet manifold (new gasket)
oil change and Air, oil, fuel filter change.
Removal of the standard Viscous fan and replacing this with Kenlowe (or maybe equivilent).
heard about turning up the fuel pump a little (not sure about this one) :?:

Any of you done any of this, and

A): was it easy and straightforward (I have new haynes manual and some LR experience on V8's)  :thumbup:

B): was there a noticable difference in the way it drove afterwards

C); will it be a problem on MOT day, especially as we are probably going to be landed with class 7 mot's soon.

Thanks in advance people, because i know the advise on here is advise from experience and not because you think you may earn out of it.

have a good day
Gary
it's a mud thing............you wouldn't understand !!

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
Re: Advise needed = EGR removal and De-Cat pipe 300TDi
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:01:03 »
A): was it easy and straightforward (I have new haynes manual and some LR experience on V8's)  Thumb up

yes,  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Discovery-300TDi-EGR-Removal-Kit-Inlet-Hose_W0QQitemZ280314430454QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item41440ac3f6

B): was there a noticable difference in the way it drove afterwards

Yes, removing the EGR from my Auto gave it more low down response especially when cold and it revs more freely with the de cat (ESR 2297 is the one I used).

C); will it be a problem on MOT day, especially as we are probably going to be landed with class 7 mot's soon.

No, mines been through the last 2 like it.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:12:16 »
hi, i have a 200 so no egr but i have given my fuel pump an extra quarter turn. baisically it has given the acceleration of a standard car with only the driver on board when i am 7up with a 750kg trailer and i also have taller tyres. the only drawback is a little black smoke when i give it some beans. the pumps can be pushed further but you get more smoke and i don't fancy that.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline Discopoo

Attack Member
  • If my feet are wet I'm deep enough
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 14:10:16 »
Go for it, done mine made a big (well big by 300tdi standards) difference, much nicer to drive better low down grunt.
Old Bikers never die, they just get dusty Helmets.
Disco for fun
Sportrak for work (and a little fun)

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 19:11:51 »
cant really comment on just one mod as i drove my 300 bog standard, then i made the exhaust, put the stuped size inlet hoses on, de-egr, green air filter, advanced the timing on the fuel pump, silicone hoses and it would spin the wheels in 3rd.......but im alot lighter than you :lol:

since the rebuild i have cleaned the inlet chamber and im moving the rad to the back with a pare of kenlowes and putting the bigger intercooler up front
would like to know what happens then :grin:

in answer to your question......yes! definatly worth doing!

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline The Electrician

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 19:03:44 »
Right, I ditched the EGR today, De-Cat pipe can wait a couple of weeks, But instantly there was a marked difference in the acceleration from cold and it definatley goes up hills better.

I couldn't find anyone local with the EGR blanking plates in stock and with the postal strike naffing up delivery times, I decided to cut a pair of them out of 2mm steel plate and use the original gaskets and front plates (for strength) and it seems to be working a treat, no leaks either thanks to gungum.

Got the fuel filter too, just need an oil filter and i'll service it.

Gary

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 19:14:35 »
all my egr blanker is one flange welded up and bolted to the manifold with that locktite gasget goo stuff and then the cooler to intake pipe i turned around and then wedged a 2p coin in there(slightly too big so perfect) then another plate over the top of that which was all held on with the other end of the pipe. since got a stainless replacement pipe from ebay.......3 or 4 quid i think.

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline The Electrician

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 09:55:24 »
Thanks for the links mr Bump, but the problem wasn't finding the bits, it was getting it delivered while the postal strikes are messing the deliveries up.

Although I might order the kit anyway for if or when the home made bodge burns through.

Well worth doing though.

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 23:38:49 »
Although I might order the kit anyway for if or when the home made bodge burns through.

Did mine over 2 years ago temporarily with cut up WD40 can, and still holding now  [-o<
1978 Series III 88"

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 03:57:54 »
I'm interested that you all say the impoved response was most noticeable when cold.

EGR shouldn't do anything when cold, it should only come into play on a hot engine.

Maybe that's the problem, if it was faulty.  I noticed no improvement whatsoever in removing the EGR, but then the pump had been tweaked be a previous owner.  I put on a bigger intercooler with silicone hoses and again no improvement, though I was hoping more that it would make less smoke as it's always been quick.  I thin perhaps it's less smokey other than if it's idling at traffic lights immeadiatley before I boot it.

Still have the decat pipe to do, put a sport pipe on though and it made no difference.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline The Electrician

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 00:05:15 »
As i understand it, it is the diesel pump being turned up that makes it smoke, personally i think if you turn the pump down a quarter turn you'll find that it doesn't smoke and the performance will still be there as you have done the egr etc.

Also it does make a difference if you have either a hard worked engine or high miles, mine only has 120k and has been looked after, hence no smoke.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 00:26:09 »
Well it's excessive fuel, so yes the fuel pump turned up without a matching increase in fresh air, hence the bigger intercooler.  The engine has done 130,000 but it's a bit "loose" and blows just a little, not bad but a little.

Anyway, having seen how much my Miocra 1.4DCi smokes the last few days, perhaps I'm being too critical.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal